run-time error '1004' message when inserting image file

dkerne

Hi Folks,

This is going to be a lo-o-ng post, so thanks in advance to those who power through it and reply to this thread.

I have a mature (been in use for 3 years) spreadsheet that was created w/ Excel 2007 and saved as an *.xls file as most end users still run Excel 2003.

This spreadsheet contains password-protected worksheets that have a mix between locked and unlocked cells (I'd say 70% locked). One of the unlocked areas is a handful of merged cells into which an image file is inserted.

>>More Detail: We use an electronic signature pad to capture sigs, which in turn are inserted (via the sig pad's software) as image files. Process used is (1) click and select cell, (2) click toolbar button for relevant software function to pull up sig pad software dialog box, (3) sign via sig pad screen, (4) click "Done" button on sig pad software dialog box, (5) crack open a cold one and relax as you are now done.
Steps (1) thru (3) work like a charm, no problem, but when I click that darned "Done" button, I get the following Visual Basic error messsage notification:

Run-time error '1004' application-defined or object-defined error

Interestingly, clicking the "End" button results in the signature image being inserted correctly. That's great, but I don't want to release a new version of this file without knowing what's causing the error in the first place (and, consequently, not knowing how to fix or prevent it).

Other Notes:

This error is only generated when inserting a signature pad-generated image file. The "Debug" button on the VBA Error notification message is not active, so that might be a helpful clue (or not).

I use the sig pad software add in (*.xla file), no idea if issue lies w/ the add in itself (?)

Finally, I have another end user who swears that he does not get this message when testing the same file; the machine I'm using was specifically set up to mimic the typical setup of most end users, so I'm not ruling out a problem w/ the machine itself (registry issue, perhaps?)

Color me very confused on this one, folks. :confused:

TIA for your help.

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back