Same data but ignoring duplicate

sneakyla

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello!

I'm trying to find the formula to copy the same data from another sheet but ignore all duplicates. It does not have to be in order. I've been using just a simple "=A2" to have a cell replicate a different cell but it's also replicating duplicates and that's what I'm trying to avoid.

For example

Sheet 1 (main sheet with formula)

Sheet 2 (data sheet)

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Are you still using excel 2016 as shown on your profile?

If you have recently upgraded to either office 365 or excel 2021 then you will have the UNIQUE function which is perfect for the task.

Another simple option is to copy and paste the list instead of using a formula, then use the duplicate removal tool (keyboard shortcut sequence Alt a m).

Upvote 0
Thank you for the response. The unique formula wasn't working properly because it was reading a formula data so it kept giving me #SPILL error.

However, I found the solution to this with another formula. I'm using the formula below and it solved it! I added IFERROR for a longer list of data that goes down with no info so it doesn't show error message and instead shows a blank cell.

=IFERROR(INDEX($A$1:$A:$500, MATCH(0, COUNTIF($B$1:B1,$A$1:$A:$500), 0)),"")

Upvote 0
The unique formula wasn't working properly because it was reading a formula data so it kept giving me #SPILL error.
The UNIQUE function can read other formulas without resulting in #SPILL errors when used correctly. Remember that it only needs to be entered into 1 cell and the rest will be done for you. If you have tried to drag it down then you will see the error.

=UNIQUE(FILTER(A1:A500,A1:A500<>""))

Upvote 0
The UNIQUE function can read other formulas without resulting in #SPILL errors when used correctly. Remember that it only needs to be entered into 1 cell and the rest will be done for you. If you have tried to drag it down then you will see the error.

=UNIQUE(FILTER(A1:A500,A1:A500<>""))
Ohhhh got it! Thank you so much for this!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back