SaveAsPDF overwrite check

drefiek2

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I have the below code which works great. I want to add a section so that it will check whether the PDF already exists in the given SharePoint folder (an overwrite warning essentially). A popup box should come up if the file already exists and the user can either click yes or no to overwrite, and then the rest of the code should work as already programmed.

Note that a team of colleagues use this spreadsheet via SharePoint. Everyone has linked the SharePoint folder with their individual OneDrive, and therefore we all access the spreadsheet via our individual OneDrives in My Files. Everything syncs with SharePoint and works great, I just need to add the above additional section into the code.

VBA Code:
Sub SaveAsPDF()
'
' SaveAsPDF Macro
'
' Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+S
'
 Select Case MsgBox("Have you checked the date and shift are correct?", vbYesNo Or vbQuestion, Application.Name)
    Case vbNo
        Debug.Print "User exit"
        Exit Sub
    End Select
    Dim SharePointPath As String
    Dim PdfFileName As String
    Dim msg As String

On Error GoTo SaveError

SharePointPath = "https://company.sharepoint.com/examplefolder/" '<<<<<<<<<<<< edit as required.

PdfFileName = Replace(Range("D6").Value, "/", "") & ActiveSheet.Range("J6").Value

ActiveSheet.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:=SharePointPath & PdfFileName, _
    Quality:=xlQualityStandard, IncludeDocProperties:=True, IgnorePrintAreas:=False, OpenAfterPublish:=False

msg = "Handover successfully uploaded to SharePoint."
    MsgBox msg, vbInformation, "Upload Successful"
    Exit Sub

SaveError:
    msg = "Handover was not uploaded to SharePoint. Please contact X on e-mail and use the backup document for today." & vbCr & vbCr & Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description
    MsgBox msg, vbCritical, "Upload Failure"
End Sub

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
I have added another reuseable function to do the actual save.

You may want to make reference to the actual worksheet rather than depend on the active sheet being the right one.

I've not tested this saving to a SharePoint folder.

VBA Code:
Sub SaveAsPDF()
'
' SaveAsPDF Macro
'
'
Dim msg As String

On Error GoTo SaveError

If MsgBox("Have you checked the date and shift are correct?", vbYesNo, Application.Name) = vbNo Then
        Exit Sub
    End If

SharePointPath = "https://company.sharepoint.com/examplefolder/" '<<<<<<<<<<<< edit as required.

PdfFileName = Replace(Range("D6").Value, "/", "") & ActiveSheet.Range("J6").Value

If fncExportToPDF(ActiveSheet, SharePointPath & PdfFileName) Then
        MsgBox "Handover successfully uploaded to SharePoint.", vbInformation, "Upload Successful"
        Exit Sub
    End If

SaveError:
    msg = "Handover was not uploaded to SharePoint. Please contact X on e-mail and use the backup document for today." & vbCr & vbCr & Err.Number & " - " & Err.Description

End Sub

Public Function fncExportToPDF(Ws As Worksheet, strFileName As String) As Boolean

On Error GoTo Err_Handler

If Len(Dir(strFileName)) > 0 Then
        If MsgBox("This file already exists, do you want to overwrite it?", vbYesNo, "Warning!") = vbNo Then
            Exit Function
        End If
    End If

Ws.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:=strFileName, _
        Quality:=xlQualityStandard, IncludeDocProperties:=True, IgnorePrintAreas:=False, OpenAfterPublish:=False

fncExportToPDF = True

Exit_Handler:

Exit Function

Err_Handler:

fncExportToPDF = False

Resume Exit_Handler

End Function

Upvote 0
I have added another reuseable function to do the actual save.

You may want to make reference to the actual worksheet rather than depend on the active sheet being the right one.

I've not tested this saving to a SharePoint folder.

VBA Code:
Sub SaveAsPDF()
'
' SaveAsPDF Macro
'
'
Dim msg As String

On Error GoTo SaveError

If MsgBox("Have you checked the date and shift are correct?", vbYesNo, Application.Name) = vbNo Then
        Exit Sub
    End If

If fncExportToPDF(ActiveSheet, SharePointPath & PdfFileName) Then
        MsgBox "Handover successfully uploaded to SharePoint.", vbInformation, "Upload Successful"
        Exit Sub
    End If

SaveError:

End Sub

Public Function fncExportToPDF(Ws As Worksheet, strFileName As String) As Boolean

On Error GoTo Err_Handler

If Len(Dir(strFileName)) > 0 Then
        If MsgBox("This file already exists, do you want to overwrite it?", vbYesNo, "Warning!") = vbNo Then
            Exit Function
        End If
    End If

Ws.ExportAsFixedFormat Type:=xlTypePDF, Filename:=strFileName, _

fncExportToPDF = True

Exit_Handler:

Exit Function

Err_Handler:

fncExportToPDF = False

Resume Exit_Handler

End Function
Hi there, thanks for your reply! I get an error message, simply "0 -" and no other error details.

Upvote 0
Try using a local path as that is the only part that I could not test.

If it works for a local path then it maybe the sharepoint path that is the problem.

What value dores PdfFileName have?

Upvote 0
Try using a local path as that is the only part that I could not test.

If it works for a local path then it maybe the sharepoint path that is the problem.

What value dores PdfFileName have?
Hi Herakles, changed to local path Downloads folder, it overwrites without warning.

PdfFileName is cell D6 (date field 05/06/2023) and cell J6 ("Day" or "Night" in a drop down list). The script removes the / in the date as it is illegal in file name saves, so the saved file name is for example 05062023Day.pdf

Upvote 0
Any other suggestions or ideas would be greatily appreciated

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back