saving as CSV format, problem with hidden format

tsil

Hi !

I have an excelfile with about 10 columns of data with about 10 raws.

I save this file as CSV, then I can look in note pad that it looks ok with comma separation. I get this excelfile from another company and it has been working until recently,

Now when I open up the csv saved excel in note pad the raw look like a string: "a;d;f;a;r " (it should look like: a;d;f;a;r)

I have tested to copy and paste an old excel row before saving it into CSV, then it looks correct; that is: a;d;f;a;r (that is, no "" signs)

I have tried to find the differencies in the format of the raws but I connot find any, is there away to find this or is it hidden for normal users ? Or even better , is the a way to solve this.... ?

BR

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
In Start|Settings|Control Panel|Regional Options|Numbers tab is your List Separator a comma or a semicolon?

If it's a comma and the person who sent it to you has semicolon, I don't think csv import will work. Try changing the file extension from csv to txt and specifying delimited with semicolon in the Text Import Wizard.

Upvote 0
Thanks :) I had a look in the new excel I got and there is was, a cell containing a comma, when I removed that it worked again. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back