Screen Flickering with this VBA

robertk93

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

Please see link to a file sharing site with a workbook inside of it. I am trying to solve the screen flickering within this workbook. The password to unprotect is test.

Thank you!

Book.xlsx

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Try putting this after the Screenupdating True/False lines

VBA Code:
' At the start
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.EnableEvents = False
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual

' At the end
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
Application.EnableEvents = True
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Upvote 0
Thank you! The further down the worksheet I go, the worse the flickering and lagging gets. Any idea?
Try putting this after the Screenupdating True/False lines

VBA Code:
' At the start
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
Application.EnableEvents = False
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual

' At the end
Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
Application.EnableEvents = True
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Upvote 0
Hmmm... I entered a handful of values and do not get any flickering.
Can you tell us exactly what you do that causes screen flickering to happen?
What values are you entering in on which sheet/range?

Give us a very DETAILED and SPECIFIC example, so we can try to replicate what you are seeing.

Note that it might more sense that instead of having code that runs every time an update is made (and a lot of updates are being made at once), to have them make all the updates and then click some sort of button (like "Submit" or "Process") that runs the VBA code just once then.

Or create a User Entry form where they can enter the values, and then once submitted, the VBA code places them where they belong and runs the hidden row logic.

Upvote 0
As I enter a value on the Proforma sheet in column B, and then hit enter to enter the next value, the blue loading circle populates and then flickers.

As I move down the sheet to the Payables Services or Wire Transfer Services, the flickering gets worse.

I like your idea of the submit or a user entry form where they enter the values and it runs at once.

How would I go about that?

Thanks,

Rob

Upvote 0
As I enter a value on the Proforma sheet in column B, and then hit enter to enter the next value, the blue loading circle populates and then flickers.

As I move down the sheet to the Payables Services or Wire Transfer Services, the flickering gets worse.
That is not quite what I had in mind. I wanted actual examples I could copy (which is which I capitalized DETAILED and SPECIFIC), i.e. enter 123 in cell A23, then 456 in cell J23, etc.
I want to do EXACTLY what you are doing, because when I just start entering in numbers in random spots on the sheet, it works just fine for me (no lag or screen flickering).
So I wanted to do the EXACT same steps (values and cells) that you are doing.

I have a feeling that it might not be an Excel thing at all, but perhaps a computer or network issue on your side.

I like your idea of the submit or a user entry form where they enter the values and it runs at once.

How would I go about that?
Google "Create Userform in Excel VBA". You will find many different tutorials on the topic.
Here is one to get you started: Userform in Excel VBA

Upvote 0
Gotcha- sorry about that.

Enter the number 1 B85 and then hit enter and enter the number 1 in B86 and then hit enter and put ones until B87

Go down to B89 and enter 1 and then hit enter and do the same on B90 through B96.

Go down to B99 and do the same as above.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
OK, it wasn't actually working before because Microsoft's new security settings disabled the macros for me.
I re-enabled them, and I think I see what is going on. I think you are seeing that flickering because you are bouncing back and forth between sheets.
You are entering the values on one sheet, and then going to the other sheet to unhide rows, and then come back.
I do not know of any way to get rid of that.

However, if you do try the User Form method, or the other one I suggested, at least them you could just run through the code once after all the entries, instead of after each and every entry.

Upvote 0
Got it. It is automatically unhiding the rows, I am not toggling the sheets. Thank you for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
provoking

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back