search table form

everwhat

Board Regular
Is there a way to seach the entire table instead of selected columns from a form?

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.

Joe4

MrExcel MVP, Junior Admin
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Please provide more details.
Can you explain the structure of your table, and maybe five an example of what you would be looking for?
It sounds like it is possible that you have some table design issues if you are trying to do something like this.

everwhat

Board Regular
I trying to create a form where user can search the entire table and not by a column.
For example:

search all columns/or table where there is "br214" or "br214*"

Joe4

Office Version
Platform
Windows
What exactly is "br214"? Is it some kind of code for soemthing?

Usually, a code like this should only be located in one field (column) in a table. If not, you may have some serious flaws with your table design.

Database design should follow the rules of Data Normalization. When these rules are not followed, seemingly simple tasks (like this) become much more difficult than they should be.

everwhat

Board Regular

ADVERTISEMENT

Table is created from data imported from outlook.
The Fields are "to", "from", "subject line", "date","message", 'received", "attachment" and "ID".
I would like to do a search in the table where, for example, search wherever the text of "BR234" or maybe "James" appears in the table. These items could be found in any columns/fields in the table. I would like to create a form where the search command and be executed.

Joe4

Office Version
Platform
Windows
I see...

Do you know how to create a search form to search a single column?
If so, what method are you using?

If you are using the method that you are using the form to build SQL or criteria on the fly, you just to need to add to it to search every possible column, i.e. instead of having criteria like:
[Field1]="br214"
you would have something like:
[Field1]="br214" or [Field2]="br214" or [Field3]="br214" or ...

Joe4

Office Version
Platform
Windows
I am not sure which method they are using (I don't have time to watch the 10 minute video right now), but the way I do is to use VBA to build the necessary SQL code "on-the-fly". Here is an example of one I have done in the past: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1619906

If you search the Access forum for threads with "Search Form" in the title, you will find many more threads on this topic.

Subscribe on YouTube

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdulmemon

This Week's Hot Topics

• Sort code advice please
    Hi, I have the code below which im trying to edit but getting a little stuck. This was the original code which worked fine,columns A-F would sort...
  • SUMPRODUCT with nested If statement
    Hi everyone, Hope you're all well. I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction with a problem I'm having with a SUMPRODUCT...
  • VBA - simple sort is killing me!
    Hello all! This should be so easy, but not for me, apparently! I have a table of data that can be of varying lengths and widths. My current macro...
  • Compare Two Lists
    I have two Lists and I need to be able to Identify differences between them. List 100 comes from a workbook - the other is downloaded form the...
  • Formula that deducts points for each code I input.
    I am trying to create a formula that will have each student in my class start at 100 points and then for each code that I enter (PP for Poor...
  • Conditional formatting formula required for day of week and a value
    Hi, I have a really simple spreadsheet where column A is the date, column B is the activity total shown as a number and column C states the day of...