Security Level

pastorkc

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
How do I get access limited based on security level I have assigned in the user table. Instead of using a name as I started doing in this vba code:

Private Sub CombineFYBtn_Click()
If TempVars("Username") = "Ken" Or TempVars("Username") = "Staton" Or TempVars("Username") = "Kelly" Then
DoCmd.OpenReport "Combined FY", acViewReport
Else
MsgBox "Access Denied"
End If
End Sub

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-25 063824.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-25 063824.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 3
PMFJI, but that sounds like a nightmare to maintain? :(
I would have names, that are in groups and assign levels to the groups.
That is how I used to setup my DBs when that sort of security needed.
No worries. Always good to hear other ideas.

Years ago, when Access database were "mdb", they had security features that I used once, though they were a pain to maintain, and I thought that they did away with that in later versions ("accdb").

Can you go into a little more detail about what you are suggesting?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
On my phone at the hospital atm.
Will respond when I get home, but basically a table of users who belong to certain groups and assign level/rights on the group. That is how my old mainframe used to do it and I just emulated that.

Upvote 0
On my phone at the hospital atm.
Will respond when I get home, but basically a table of users who belong to certain groups and assign level/rights on the group. That is how my old mainframe used to do it and I just emulated that.
Great! I would love to hear how you were able to do that.

I never had need for more than 2 different front-ends. I used to do a little trick that made updating the database a snap.
Instead of directly giving users a copy of the appropriate database, I made up a batch file (.bat) for each one, and put a shortcut to that on their Desktop.
What the batch file did was the following:
1. Deleted the old copy of the database from their C drive
2. Copied the referenced front-end name from a spot on the network to their C drive
3. Opened that new copy from their C drive

So every time that clicked that button their desktop, it downloaded a fresh copy of their front-end and opened it.
The nice thing about doing it this way is it also made updates a snap. I would just overwrite the copy of the front-end on the network with the new verion.
Then the next time they clicked the button, they would get the new version.

So after initial set-up, maintenance and updates were easy.

Upvote 0
PMFJI, but that sounds like a nightmare to maintain? :(
I would have names, that are in groups and assign levels to the groups.
That is how I used to setup my DBs when that sort of security needed.
So what would your example look like in the table and in the code?

Upvote 0
I agree with wgm - too much effort to manage multiple versions. User names (and other useful user info) in a table along with a permissions level field is the way to go. To answer the original question, use DLookup on the the user table to get the user permissions level, then open the forms/reports accordingly. I would also make the permissions an integer field (with a description field) because you can use comparison operators on numbers, such as <, >, = etc.

Upvote 0
So what would your example look like in the table and in the code?
I used the standard switchboard form and added the user level to the switchboard table
1690305221077.png

User level in tblUsers
1690305291927.png

1690305337233.png

I could probably make it a little easier now, as I know a fair bit more about Access, but it would also deter anyone trying to fathom how it worked.
I had to go back and look at the code it has been so long.
On login I set TempVars so I had the pertinent information to hand all the time

TempVars("EmployeeID").Value = Me.cboEmployeeID.Column(0)
TempVars("Employee").Value = Me.cboEmployeeID.Column(1)
TempVars("UserLevel").Value = DLookup("DataOrder", "tblLookup", "LookupID = " & Me.cboEmployeeID.Column(3))
DoCmd.OpenForm "Switchboard"

Source for cboEmployeeID is
Code:
SELECT tblUser.EmployeeID, [Forename] & " " & [Surname] AS FullName, tblUser.UserPassword, tblUser.UserLevel, tblUser.UserActive
FROM tblEmployee INNER JOIN tblUser ON tblEmployee.EmployeeID = tblUser.EmployeeID
WHERE (((tblUser.UserActive)=True));
The the switchboard form recorsource was
Code:
SELECT *
FROM [Switchboard Items]
WHERE ((([Switchboard Items].ItemNumber)>0) AND (([Switchboard Items].SwitchboardID)=[TempVars]![SwitchboardID]) AND (([Switchboard Items].UserLevel)>=[Tempvars]![UserLevel]))
ORDER BY [Switchboard Items].ItemNumber;

So I never presented anything to anyone who should not see it.
I only supplied an accde so they could not see any forms/tables etc.
I was lucky that I did not have any colleagues who would go looking on how to break it. :)

Upvote 0
Great! I would love to hear how you were able to do that.

I never had need for more than 2 different front-ends. I used to do a little trick that made updating the database a snap.
Instead of directly giving users a copy of the appropriate database, I made up a batch file (.bat) for each one, and put a shortcut to that on their Desktop.
What the batch file did was the following:
1. Deleted the old copy of the database from their C drive
2. Copied the referenced front-end name from a spot on the network to their C drive
3. Opened that new copy from their C drive

So every time that clicked that button their desktop, it downloaded a fresh copy of their front-end and opened it.
The nice thing about doing it this way is it also made updates a snap. I would just overwrite the copy of the front-end on the network with the new verion.
Then the next time they clicked the button, they would get the new version.

So after initial set-up, maintenance and updates were easy.
I used Bob Larsens Auto Updater.
I have a thing about not doing something if it is not needed. :)

So they only got a new copy when a new copy was available. A little more complicated to setup, but used infrequently, although the amend log would say that was not the case :), but DB was still in development then as well.
I also kept a log ov version number and amendments.
1690307876020.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pollardxlsm

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back