Seemingly complex #VALUE! data type mismatch error...

sckuperman

Greetings!

I searched throughout the forum for an answer to this error, but I cannot seem to hone in on exactly what is causing this to happen...

I have a complex workbook with many worksheets, and references to cells from several worksheets to others.

I have a worksheet named CONTROL that has cells that have the names of sales people as text. The first few cells are blank, as we change or delete sales people in these cells due to attrition, but that doesn't seem to be a problem in this case. In the formula with which I am having a problem, I directly reference each cell, and I do not think having a blank cell is causing the error that I am getting.

I have a worksheet named "MNS Deal Log". I cannot take the spaces out of the tab name because of the reference from other sheets that I cannot edit. This worksheet includes column "B" that has the names of sales people to check against my CONTROL worksheet. The cells in column "B" have data validation against the array in CONTROL to make sure that only those names are available for entry. Separately, cells in columns "I" through "N" have user entered dates as "m/d/yyyy".

I have a third worksheet named "Activity Calculator". "B8" includes COUNTing the total number of sales people listed in the array on CONTROL, taking out the blanks. There is a data validated cell at "A1" where I can select a "month year" from an array on CONTROL, such as "April 2016" (without the quotes, of course). What I need to accomplish is a formula that sums individual COUNTIFS greater than zero, to total the number of salespeople who have entered a date within the month/year of A1, anywhere in columns "I" through "N" on the "MNS Deal Log", so I can divide by B8 to get a percentage of sales people who have participated in a given A1 month. Please look at the following code:

Code:
 (SUM(
(IF((COUNTIFS('MNS Deal Log'!B:B,Control!BJ2,'MNS Deal Log'!I:N,">="&TEXT(A1,"m/d/yyyy"),'MNS Deal Log'!I:N,"<"&TEXT(EOMONTH(A1,0),"m/d/yyyy"))>0),1,0))+
(IF(COUNTIF('MNS Deal Log'!B2:B1001,Control!BJ3)>0,1,0))+
(IF(COUNTIF('MNS Deal Log'!B2:B1001,Control!BJ4)>0,1,0))+
(IF(COUNTIF('MNS Deal Log'!B2:B1001,Control!BJ5)>0,1,0))+
(IF(COUNTIF('MNS Deal Log'!B2:B1001,Control!BJ6)>0,1,0))+
(IF(COUNTIF('MNS Deal Log'!B2:B1001,Control!BJ7)>0,1,0))+
(IF(COUNTIF('MNS Deal Log'!B2:B1001,Control!BJ8)>0,1,0))+
(IF(COUNTIF('MNS Deal Log'!B2:B1001,Control!BJ9)>0,1,0))+
(IF(COUNTIF('MNS Deal Log'!B2:B1001,Control!BJ10)>0,1,0))+
(IF(COUNTIF('MNS Deal Log'!B2:B1001,Control!BJ11)>0,1,0))+
(IF(COUNTIF('MNS Deal Log'!B2:B1001,Control!BJ12)>0,1,0))+
(IF(COUNTIF('MNS Deal Log'!B2:B1001,Control!BJ13)>0,1,0))+
(IF(COUNTIF('MNS Deal Log'!B2:B1001,Control!BJ14)>0,1,0))+
(IF(COUNTIF('MNS Deal Log'!B2:B1001,Control!BJ15)>0,1,0))+
(IF(COUNTIF('MNS Deal Log'!B2:B1001,Control!BJ16)>0,1,0))+
(IF(COUNTIF('MNS Deal Log'!B2:B1001,Control!BJ17)>0,1,0))
)/B8)

When I just sum the COUNTIF instances that check for the existence of a sales person anywhere in the "MNS Deal Log", column "B", my formula works. This is true even though B2, for example, is currently blank

Here however, I edited the first instance of COUNTIF to try a COUNTIFS that first checks for a valid sales person but also includes checking to see if any A1 relevant date was entered anywhere in columns "I" through "N" on the "MNS Deal Log" (between the first and last of the month in A1).

The error I get is #VALUE! I've tried using TEXT, not using TEXT, using DATE, et al. I cannot seem to work through this error. I've tried stepping through the calculation and the very first step will return the error, so that doesn't help me. I realize there is a data mismatch involved, but i can't figure out which - or how to resolve.

Does anyone have any insight that might help?

THANKS!

Do you mean like this (building on the previous example):

E3: {=SUM((ManagerList=RequiredManager)*(ISNUMBER(MATCH(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS(MasterNameList))),IF(MMULT(IFERROR((MONTH(DataDates)=MONTH(RequiredDate))*(YEAR(DataDates)=YEAR(RequiredDate)),0),TRANSPOSE(COLUMN(DataDates)^0)),1,0)*MATCH(DataNames,MasterNameList,),))))}

ManagerList =B2:B7
RequiredManager: =E2

ABCDEFGHIJ
1MasterListManagerDateMar 2016
2Name6BillManagerMary
3Name2MaryCount2
4Name3Bill
5Name4MaryDATA
6Name5BillSale1Sale2Sale3Sale4Sale5Sale6
7Name1MaryName118 Jan 1606 Mar 1612 Feb 1605 Jan 16
8Name231 Jan 1603 Jan 1615 Mar 1614 Jan 1606 Dec 1522 Dec 15
9Name317 Jan 1601 Jan 16
10Name412 Jan 1621 Dec 1519 Feb 1620 Feb 1627 Dec 1504 Dec 15
11Name528 Mar 16
12Name601 Mar 1626 Jan 1631 Dec 1501 Jan 1621 Feb 16
13Name420 Dec 1528 Dec 1522 Feb 16
14Name307 Mar 1610 Jan 1609 Mar 1618 Jan 1621 Feb 1614 Mar 16
15Name110 Jan 1611 Jan 1605 Feb 1603 Jan 1614 Jan 16
16Name609 Mar 1618 Feb 1629 Jan 1615 Dec 1504 Dec 1520 Mar 16
17Name514 Feb 1629 Dec 1527 Feb 16
18Name229 Dec 1501 Jan 1620 Jan 1610 Mar 16

<tbody>
</tbody>
By the way, I have been meaning to ask: originally you said you were looking for the percentage of sales people who "participated" in a given month. Does the absence of a March sale mean that a sales person did not participate, or could it be that they did participate but didn't secure any sale?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Wow. Just wow.

Here is the final array formula with my (almost insignificant compared to yours) edits including named ranges:

Code:
=IF(ISBLANK(C1),((SUM(--(ISNUMBER(MATCH(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS(salesprof))),IF(MMULT(IFERROR((MONTH('MNS Deal Log'!I:N)=MONTH(A1))*(YEAR('MNS Deal Log'!I:N)=YEAR(A1)),0),TRANSPOSE(COLUMN('MNS Deal Log'!I:N)^0)),1,0)*MATCH('MNS Deal Log'!B:B,salesprof,),)))))/B8),(SUM((Managerr=C1)*(ISNUMBER(MATCH(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS(salesprof))),IF(MMULT(IFERROR((MONTH('MNS Deal Log'!I:N)=MONTH(A1))*(YEAR('MNS Deal Log'!I:N)=YEAR(A1)),0),TRANSPOSE(COLUMN('MNS Deal Log'!I:N)^0)),1,0)*MATCH('MNS Deal Log'!B:B,salesprof,),))))/B8))

Thus...

If C1 on the main worksheet is blank, with C1 representing a cell to select either a sales team manager or a blank entry from our Control worksheet's lookup table, then we initially want to total the whole branch office by summing all of the individual sales professionals in the entire branch who contributed in a given month, of such month that is represented by the month and year selected from the lookup table in A1. To get this total, we check to see if each sales professional entered any dates on our MNS Deal Log worksheet that fall only within the month chosen in our main worksheet's cell A1, where the dates they will enter will be entered in a cell on any of their populated row entries where from columns "I" to "N" ('MNS Deal Log'!I:N): 1. that they first met with a new prospective customer, 2. and/or reported doing a profile, 3. and/or reported having completed an assessment, 4. and/or presented a proposal, 5. and/or closed a sale, 6. and/or started our finance team on billing a new customer. If they did enter any "A1"-related dates in this fashion, they are counted as part of the total number of participating sales professionals for that given "A1" month. We then divide that sum by the total number of sales professionals in the entire branch to get a ratio expressed as a percentage.

If C1 on the main worksheet shows a sales team manager, we follow the aforementioned initial logic, however we filter the selected participating sales professionals by the team they are on represented by their manager (C1). We then divide THAT sum by the total number of sales professionals on their sales manager's TEAM, to represent a ratio of participating sales professionals by team.

WHEW!

AND A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE.

THANKS!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgp19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back