Select * into @Variable where 1=1

Vikas Kumar

Hi,

I am trying to copy one table's records into a variable named table as below,

Declare @Testing Varchar(20)
Set @Testing = 'Mytable'
Select * into @Testing from samples where 1=1

Here Source Table is 'Samples' and wants to get all its records into '@testing' Table. But it gives an error 'Incorrect syntax near '@testing'

I'm on Sql server 2014. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Not clear what you have/are doing where. This is an Access forum, so is that Access code or sql? Or is it sql server sql?
In vba, the first character of a variable must start with a letter and cannot contain @ or a few other characters. I don't think Varchar has any meaning in Access either.

Upvote 0
Not clear what you have/are doing where. This is an Access forum, so is that Access code or sql? Or is it sql server sql?
In vba, the first character of a variable must start with a letter and cannot contain @ or a few other characters. I don't think Varchar has any meaning in Access either.
I know its a MS Access forum that's why I mentioned that 'I am on sql server 2014'. And in ssms variable declaration requires '@' together with variable name.

Let me try again to make it clearer, Here are the comments for each line of the code,

Declare @Testing Varchar(20) -- Declaring a Variable in memory named = Testing which data type is Varchar
Set @Testing = 'Mytable' --Assigning a String value to the variable and that Value is Mytable
Select * into @Testing from samples where 1=1 --Here source table is Samples and wants to copy all its records into Mytable variable

Overall objective is to create a new table and get it filled from source table. I think there is some issue of variable data type but unable to rectify.

Hope It makes sense. Pls let me know if any point requires more explanation.

Thanks again for your concern.

Upvote 0
go to to the section named
Dynamic SQL commands using EXEC Statement
It is useful but not exactly what I am looking for. As I want to avoid stored procedure here. See similar query below:

Select * Into Mytable from Samples where 1=1
This one creates a new Table named 'Mytable' and will copy all records of source table (samples) into it. The query works successfully but I want to do a slight modification to the hard coded destination table(Mytable) to pick its value from a variable.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Yes, I saw that you mentioned that but I know that you can use Access as the front end for a SS db so I wasn't sure. I'm afraid I can't help you with SS syntax if that's what that is. It also resembles VBA code, which I would be able to help with. Sorry.

Upvote 0
Yes, I saw that you mentioned that but I know that you can use Access as the front end for a SS db so I wasn't sure. I'm afraid I can't help you with SS syntax if that's what that is. It also resembles VBA code, which I would be able to help with. Sorry.
No problem! You gave your time to look around & It means a lot.

Upvote 0
It is useful but not exactly what I am looking for. As I want to avoid stored procedure here. See similar query below:

This one creates a new Table named 'Mytable' and will copy all records of source table (samples) into it. The query works successfully but I want to do a slight modification to the hard coded destination table(Mytable) to pick its value from a variable.

Thanks
you didn't read the section I mentioned
go to the link
read that section
here is the code from that section
it is not a stored proc

Code:
DECLARE @sqlCommand varchar(1000)
DECLARE @columnList varchar(75)
DECLARE @city varchar(75)

SET @columnList = 'AddressID, AddressLine1, City'
SET @city = '''London'''
SET @sqlCommand = 'SELECT ' + @columnList + ' FROM Person.Address WHERE City = ' + @city

EXEC (@sqlCommand)

Upvote 0
you didn't read the section I mentioned
go to the link
read that section
here is the code from that section
it is not a stored proc

Code:
DECLARE @sqlCommand varchar(1000)
DECLARE @columnList varchar(75)
DECLARE @city varchar(75)

SET @columnList = 'AddressID, AddressLine1, City'
SET @city = '''London'''
SET @sqlCommand = 'SELECT ' + @columnList + ' FROM Person.Address WHERE City = ' + @city

EXEC (@sqlCommand)
thanks for pointing this out. following the section I wrote this as per my need,

Declare @SqlCmd Varchar(1000)
Declare @ColumnList Varchar(75)
Set @ColumnList = '[Booking Date], [Booking Time]'
Set @SqlCmd = 'Select' + @ColumnList + 'From Samples'
Exec (@Sqlcmd)
which is just equivalent to "Select [Booking Date], [Booking Time] from Samples"
It is helpful and meet the criteria till a stage, still there are some points, I couldn't get over to them:

1) In The attached code we need to supply all the fields manually. Like in my source table(samples) there are 70+ fields/columns so how can I reference all of them to @ColumnList variable. as I tried Samples.* and Samples but neither worked.
2) The code makes the source table dynamic while we want to make the dest table as dynamic. Say It just filter/select records but what is next way to get all these records in a new table.

It would be great if we can overcome these points.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Son Raphon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back