select method of range class failed

SSPoulin23

I cannot for the life of me get this to stop happening. I have a button on a summary page that, once clicked, unhides a sheet makes a copy, and would reference the information on the summary sheet onto the newly copied sheet. there will be other functions as well, but I cant get the "select method of range class failed" to go away! ive used this code before in another workbook but am having trouble here. any help would be great appreciated. thank you!

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

' Unhide Sheets
Sheets("Summary").Select
Sheets("Template").Visible = True

' Create Duplicate Sheets
Sheets("Template").Select
Sheets("Template").Copy Before:=Sheets(1)
' ReassignCellRefs
Sheets("Template (2)").Select
Range("C11").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "='Summary'!R[-2]C"

End sub

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Is cell C11 hidden, locked and protected, or part of a merged cell?

Upvote 0
Does this work?
Code:
Sheets("Template (2)").Range("C11").FormulaR1C1 = "='Summary'!R[-2]C"

Upvote 0
is merged a problem
Yes, yes, YES!

Merged cells are the devil and should be avoided at all costs! They wreak havoc with things like sorting and VBA.
You can get the exact same visual effect without all the issues by using Center Across Selection instead of merging the cells.
See: Tom’s Tutorials For Excel: Using Center Across Selection Instead of Merging Cells | Excel training, testing and consulting by Tom Urtis, Microsoft MVP

Even if you have found a suitable workaround for this particular issue, I still strongly advise you to make the change, as there is a good chance they will cause you more heartache down the road.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
hey wait! I'm still having the same issue anytime I try to use Range.("J6").Select why is that? I'm still fairly novice with VBA, so many times I'll click the "record macro" button, do what I need to do, and then steal the code it kicks out and apply it to my scenario. It's using Range.("J6").Select but when I try to use it, I get the error message again. could it be because I'm using a private sub within a command button click? THANK YOU!!!

Upvote 0
I don't if you just made a typo, but you should not have a period after the word "Range".
It should be
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]Range("J6").Select
not
[/COLOR]
Code:
[COLOR=#333333]Range.("J6").Select [/COLOR]

By the way, when you record VBA code, you end up with a lot of Select, Activate, and Selection statements. This is because the Macro Recorder is very literal. You usually don'y need to actually select the cell to work with it. Most parts of code where one line ends in "Select" and the next begins with with "Selection" can be combined into one line, like Norie demonstrated for you above.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiansth

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back