Select Multiple Cell Ranges using Names???

norts55

Board Regular
Wow, I just discovered the Name Manager. It is awesome but it seems like it is limited to selecting only one name (range) at a time. Is there a way to select multiple names (ranges) at one time?

If not…

Is there a way to paste the list of names in say column B on any work sheet and then when you would select a cell from column B that had a name in it, that cell would actually select the range the name refers to? Then you could hold down the Ctrl key and select multiple names (ranges)?

Note: all my ranges that my names refer to are rectangular…if that means anything to anyone. :)

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Use the arrow keys, SHIFT, CTRL etc.

PS You still haven't mentioned what you want to do with the hyperlinks you are selecting

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Hyperlinks are just another idea to select a range of cells.

All I am really trying to achieve is select different ranges of cells using a list of names or list of hyperlinks. Then copy those ranges and paste them to another sheet in the same workbook.

Upvote 0
Do you need to select all the ranges simultaneously?

Upvote 0
Yes, simultaneously. I plan on coping them and then pasting the selected ranges of cells into another sheet in the same workbook by selecting one cell and hitting the paste command.

Upvote 0
You can select the multiple ranges by typing "Name1,Name2,Name3" into the Names Box (to the left of the formula entry box).

But copying might not be possible.

In my testing, copy worked with the two named ranges A1 and D1, but not with three A1, C1:C2, D1
But it did work with three named ranges A1:A2, C1:C2, D1:D2.

If you are using this in a VBA routine, it would be best to build a Union of the discontinuous named ranges.
And then loop through the Areas of that union.

Upvote 0
The typing "Name1,Name2,Name3" into the Names Box does help. Thanks. I think the ranges have to be the same number of columns in order for the copy -> paste to work.

Upvote 0
Ok, I think I have figured out what I need. Let’s see if I can explain it well enough for others to understand. Maybe this next question should be a new thread, just let me know if you think so....

Is there a possibility to have macro that can run thru the list of names and copy and paste the ranges one at a time? So, let’s say in column B I have a list of names and this list matches possibilities of names that are in the names box. The macro would start at the top of the list in column B, take the first one it finds and select that name (which really would select a range) copy that range to the clipboard, then it would go to the sheet I want it to paste it on and paste the range. Then the macro would step to the next line in the list, find the name it matches copy that range to the clipboard, then go to the sheet and paste that range below the previously pasted range. Then it would go to the third and so on. Is that possible???

Upvote 0
I want to thank everyone who responded to this thread. I would not have been able to figure out exactly what I needed without your responses. I am going to start a new thread to ask exactly what I need because I think the the new topic is quite different from my original question. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ralemanygarcia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back