Selecting items only once in a list until that item is returned.

Truman46

Hello, Im trying to setup a spreadsheet where I can use a list to select items only once until that item is returned.

We have batterys and solar panels that go out with our solar lighted real estate boards. The batteries and solar panels have numbers and I want to be able to add the battery and solar panel numbers used with the board number in a spreadsheet, but then that battery and solar panel number cant be used again until the board comes back and the items are returned.

Not sure where to start with this one so any help appreciated.

i tried to send you some books and references links that may help you in your inbox but it is full; so clear some space if possible :wink:

there are some Excel Gurus who offer private streamlined training material that are focused on specific areas like dashboards, accounting ...etc. just clear your inbox so i can send it to you.
I'm sure many readers of this thread would be interested in that information, and since we are a public forum it would be good if you made that information public too. :)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Here's another option to consider that doesn't require any vba code, but does use some helper columns. I've used columns S:U as helpers but they could be any columns.

I really liked your solution peter :biggrin: especially that it avoids VBA which is a real plus.

I wish you think about distilling your strategies and thinking model into a book or some organized video series /web posts. strategies to tackle spreadsheets problems / design are critical and good ones need to be passed to the next generation of young spreadsheet dwellers from the gurus (y)

one thing about your approach is that when i copy the data validation into the next cell (next row) I retain the same value as of the previous cell unless i activate the cell by clicking were the list will show the updated items/batterys not used. i.e. i need to click into the list after copying so i do not see the used items.

I'm sure many readers of this thread would be interested in that information, and since we are a public forum it would be good if you made that information public too. :)

Errr... ok probably i will post that in another thread.. but you know what ...

2emBmP6h.png

Upvote 0
one thing about your approach is that when i copy the data validation into the next cell (next row) I retain the same value as of the previous cell unless i activate the cell by clicking were the list will show the updated items/batterys not used. i.e. i need to click into the list after copying so i do not see the used items.
I don't understand. If you copy the cell and Paste Special (Validation) into an empty cell(s), which is what I thought you were describing, then those cells should inherit the Data Validation but remain empty themselves.

Upvote 0
Ahaa

I am not copying and pasting with paste special, am just copying and pasting normally that explains it.

I will try the paste special with validation.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back