send email based on cell value when value is text

Liam_S

Hi,

I am needing assistance in creating a macro to send an email to a certain person based on a cells value as being a text e.g. "Waiting for Admin". I currently use a drop down menu for cells in column AH. Based off the selection from the drop down I want it to send/display an email using outlook.

I have found how to do this based off a numeric value however I'm a novice to excel macros and can't change it to do it on a text value. I am needing creating the macro and adding into excel.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Hey Welcome to the MessageBoard! :)

Maybe try something simple like this:

Code:
[COLOR=#0000ff]Sub [/COLOR]SendMail()
[COLOR=#0000ff]    If[/COLOR] Range("A1") = "Waiting for Admin" [COLOR=#0000ff]Then[/COLOR]
         [COLOR=#0000ff]   With[/COLOR] CreateObject("Outlook.Application").createitem(0) [COLOR=#008000]'0 will create a new email item[/COLOR]
                .To = "MyEmail@email.com"
                .Subject = "My Subject Line Here"
                .Body = "Dear John," & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & "This is my email body"
                .Display [COLOR=#008000]'Change this to .Send[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]            End With[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]    End If[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]End Sub[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply.
Only seems to work when I hit run and not automatically when changing the cell.

thanks for your help

Upvote 0
Liam_S,

Put this event change code in the Worksheet Module that your data exists on (i.e. Sheet1 Code Module...etc.) :

Code:
[COLOR=#0000ff]Private Sub [/COLOR]Worksheet_Change([COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal[/COLOR] Target[COLOR=#0000ff] As[/COLOR] Range)

[COLOR=#008000]    'If value in AH is edited and it the value = "Waiting for Admin" then send the email....[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]    If [/COLOR]Target.Column = 34 [COLOR=#0000ff]And[/COLOR] Target.Value = "Waiting for Admin" [COLOR=#0000ff]Then[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=#0000ff]    With[/COLOR] CreateObject("Outlook.Application").createitem(0)[COLOR=#008000] '0 will create a new email item[/COLOR]
                .To = "MyEmail@email.com"
[COLOR=#0000ff]            End With[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]
[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank You! is there a way to add in multiple different emails based off different cell values? all taking from the same column?

Upvote 0
Yes. What column do the emails reside in?

Maybe this example will help....

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

'If value in AH is edited and it the value = "Waiting for Admin" then send the email....
    If Target.Column = 34 And Target.Value = "Waiting for Admin" Then
            With CreateObject("Outlook.Application").createitem(0) '0 will create a new email item
[COLOR=#ff0000]                .To = Target.Offset(, -1) 'This will give you Column AG, -2 will give you column AF....etc[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]                .Display 'Change this to .Send[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]            End With[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]    End If[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]End Sub[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry I didn't word that very well. What I meant was. In column AH i have multiple different selections e.g. "waiting for admin", "admin complete", "Ongoing" etc. each selection represents a new email. At this stage the email doesn't need to change just the recipient.

Upvote 0
How about something like this?

Code:
[COLOR=#0000ff]Private Sub[/COLOR] Worksheet_Change([COLOR=#0000ff]ByVal [/COLOR]Target[COLOR=#0000ff] As [/COLOR]Range)

[COLOR=#0000ff]    Dim [/COLOR]myToAdd [COLOR=#0000ff]As String[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#0000ff] If [/COLOR]Target.Column = 34 [COLOR=#0000ff]Then[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]        If [/COLOR]Target.Value = "Waiting for Admin"[COLOR=#0000ff] Then[/COLOR]
            myToAdd = "matt@email.com:"
    [COLOR=#0000ff]    ElseIf[/COLOR] Target.Value = "Admin Complete"[COLOR=#0000ff] Then[/COLOR]
            myToAdd = "matt2@email.com:"
 [COLOR=#0000ff]       ElseIf [/COLOR]Target.Value = "Admin Complete" [COLOR=#0000ff]Then[/COLOR]
            myToAdd = "matt3@email.com:"
[COLOR=#0000ff]        Else[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#008000]            'etc.....[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]        End If[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#0000ff]With[/COLOR] CreateObject("Outlook.Application").createitem(0) [COLOR=#008000]'0 will create a new email item[/COLOR]
            .To = myToAdd 
[COLOR=#0000ff]        End With[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]        [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]
[/COLOR]

Upvote 0
Hey this worked perfectly!

Have been trialling the spreadsheet now with great success!

Is it possible to have multiple different change events e.g. if another cell has a certain value then it will also create an email to send, with a different message?

Thanks so much you have been a great help

Upvote 0
You can only have one worksheet change event. If you need to check multiple cells you can do something like this:

Code:
[COLOR="#0000FF"]Private Sub[/COLOR] Worksheet_Change([COLOR="#0000FF"][/COLOR][COLOR="#0000FF"]ByVal[/COLOR] Target [COLOR="#0000FF"]As[/COLOR] Range)

[COLOR="#008000"]        'Check to see what cell has been changed....[/COLOR]
   [COLOR="#0000FF"] If [/COLOR]Target.Address = "$A$1" [COLOR="#0000FF"]Then[/COLOR]
        MsgBox "You just changed cell: " & Target.Address
       [COLOR="#008000"] 'Your code would go in this space in place of the msgbox....[/COLOR]   
    [COLOR="#0000FF"]ElseIf[/COLOR] Target.Address = "$F$1" [COLOR="#0000FF"]Then[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="#0000FF"]ElseIf[/COLOR] Target.Address = "$D$1" [COLOR="#0000FF"]Then[/COLOR]
  [COLOR="#0000FF"]  Else[/COLOR]
        [COLOR="#008000"]'Do Something Else Here......[/COLOR]
 [COLOR="#0000FF"]   End If[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#0000FF"]End Sub[/COLOR]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back