send excel as attachment error in code

bazbuyer

Office Version
  1. 2016
Hi
I've previously used code without issue, but in a different employer and in Office 2016, now Office 365. I'm getting a runtime 91 error "Object variable or with block variable not set". The code is set out below, I assume its causing an error at the line "Set OutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")" and that the Office 365 is now not recognising that or something relating to the different IT environment?

VBA Code:
Sub Email_Open_WB_as_Attachment()
Dim wb1 As Workbook
Dim TempFilePath As String
Dim TempFileName As String
Dim FileExtStr As String
Dim OutApp As Object
Dim OutMail As Object

With Application
.ScreenUpdating = False
.EnableEvents = False
End With

Set wbl = ActiveWorkbook
'Make copy of file, open oit,mail it, delete it
TempFilePath = Environ$("temp") & "\"
TempFileName = "Copy of " & wbl.Name & " " & Format(Now, "dd-mmm-yy h-mm-ss")
FileExtStr = "." & LCase(Right(wbl.Name, Len(wb1.Name) - InStrRev(wbl.Name, ".", , 1)))

wb1.SaveCopyAs TempFilePath & TempFileName & FileExtStr

Set OutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
Set OutMail = OutApp.CreateItem(0)

On Error Resume Next
With OutMail
.To = "DPO"
.CC = ""
.BCC = ""
.Subject = "Internal Inventory/Retention Exercise"
.Body = "Completed form attached"
.Attachments.Add TempFilePath & TempFileName & FileExtStr
.SEND
End With
On Error GoTo 0

'delete file
Kill TempFilePath & TempFileName & FileExtStr
Set OutMail = Nothing
Set OutApp = Nothing
With Application
.ScreenUpdating = True
.EnableEvents = True
End With

End Sub

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
I assume its causing an error at the line "Set OutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")"
Not sure why you use the word "assume" here. You can determine this with certainty. If you get a runtime error, you will see a dialog box. Click on Debug. What line of code is highlighted in yellow?

Upvote 0
Not sure why you use the word "assume" here. You can determine this with certainty. If you get a runtime error, you will see a dialog box. Click on Debug. What line of code is highlighted in yellow?
the dialogue box gave me an ok or help (which brings to a web page on objects). I used F8 which jumped through most of the code line by line and errored at the line above CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

Upvote 0
It looks like you have a problem with the new file name. Insert this code just above the failing ws1.SaveCopyAs ... line, and execute the code then look at the immediate (debug - Ctrl + G) window to see what it will print:

VBA Code:
Debug.Print TempFilePath & TempFileName & FileExtStr

Make sure the file path and name are correct because it should be the problem.

Note: Please do not mark a post that doesn't contain an answer. That's why I unmarked it.

Upvote 0
A closer look: You have 1 (one) instead of l (lower case L) in the variable name in this line.

Rich (BB code):
FileExtStr = "." & LCase(Right(wbl.Name, Len(wb1.Name) - InStrRev(wbl.Name, ".", , 1)))

Just fix it as shown below and retry:

VBA Code:
FileExtStr = "." & LCase(Right(wbl.Name, Len(wbl.Name) - InStrRev(wbl.Name, ".", , 1)))

Upvote 0
A closer look: You have 1 (one) instead of l (lower case L) in the variable name in this line.
I strongly recommend to everyone that they use Option Explicit and declare variables. Doing so prevents a lot of bugs and runtime errors. Option Explicit would have caused the compiler to flag wbl as an undeclared variable.

Interestingly this bug is not related to the version of Excel being used :) Nine times out of 10 when someone tells me that the only thing that changed is the version of Excel, something else changed.

Upvote 0
Solution
Actually found this from some years back and this replaces the entire code much more simply

VBA Code:
Sub SEND()
ActiveWorkbook.SendMail Recipients:=Array(email1,email2)
End Sub

Upvote 0
Actually found this from some years back and this replaces the entire code much more simply

Exactly. However, these are completely different methods that work for different requirements. Glad to hear that the SendMail method helps your project.

In the meantime, I will mark post #6 as the solution to this question as it contains the most useful recommendation about declaring variables as well as confirming the typo in the code in the question. This way it will help future readers to see the typo in this code and encourage them to declare variables in their own projects. The question itself provides good information about using the Outlook object in VBA to attach a workbook, and finally, your final post shows another way of sending a workbook as an attachment. This is a good thread :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back