Seniority Shift Bidding

VaatiAstora

Platform
  1. Windows
Okay, say we have a 4 shift schedule at my business, a, b, c, and d. Each shift has 4 slots to be filled and each shift has to have at least 2 people in it.. Each employee fills out a shift ballot, that says in what order the shifts are based on their preference, like mine is c, d, a, b. C being most desired, B being least. And seniority is also a factor, if 5 people want B shift, only the 4 that have been here the longest get it. the 5th person will get his 2nd choice and so on. How would i go about creating a spreadsheet that if I list all the employees in order of seniority in column a, and their preferred shift order in columns b-e, it will make a chart for each shift with who is on the shift, like such.

Input Table:
Morseabcd
Godwincabd
Slatoncabd
Mancusocbad
Browncdab
Jennerdcab
Sparksadcb
Jarvisdabc

Output Table:
ABCD
MorseMancusoGodwinBrown
SparksJarvisSlatonJenner

Had to scale it down to 8 people to meet website limitations. I also need the tables to work if say someone quit so we only have 7 people, I just want the shift to have a blank space in that case.

Sorry if I'm asking for too much.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
I would include one additional table, to tell how many people should be assigned to a shift.

My formula makes the following assumptions:
  • The input table you created is listed in columns A:E
  • The input table includes headers (your example does not)
  • The desired number of people per shift is listed in J1:K4.
  • Column J has the shifts: J1 = A, J2 = B, J3 = C, J4 = D
  • Column K has the amount of people per shift, adding up to the number of employees available. (e.g. 4;4;4;4 or 2;6;4;4)
  • The output is calculated in column F

The person with most seniority always gets what he/she wants. Therefor in cell F2 there is a direct reference to B2. (remember, B1 and F1 are headers)

In cell F3 the following formula is placed:

=IF(COUNTIFS($F$1:$F1,B2)<VLOOKUP(B2,$J$1:$K$4,2,FALSE),B2,IF(COUNTIFS($F$1:$F1,C2)<VLOOKUP(C2,$J$1:$K$4,2,FALSE),C2,IF(COUNTIFS($F$1:$F1,D2)<VLOOKUP(D2,$J$1:$K$4,2,FALSE),D2,E2)))

Columns A:F can be added into a pivot table to create the output.

Upvote 0
I would include one additional table, to tell how many people should be assigned to a shift.

My formula makes the following assumptions:
  • The input table you created is listed in columns A:E
  • The input table includes headers (your example does not)
  • The desired number of people per shift is listed in J1:K4.
  • Column J has the shifts: J1 = A, J2 = B, J3 = C, J4 = D
  • Column K has the amount of people per shift, adding up to the number of employees available. (e.g. 4;4;4;4 or 2;6;4;4)
  • The output is calculated in column F

The person with most seniority always gets what he/she wants. Therefor in cell F2 there is a direct reference to B2. (remember, B1 and F1 are headers)

In cell F3 the following formula is placed:

=IF(COUNTIFS($F$1:$F1,B2)<VLOOKUP(B2,$J$1:$K$4,2,FALSE),B2,IF(COUNTIFS($F$1:$F1,C2)<VLOOKUP(C2,$J$1:$K$4,2,FALSE),C2,IF(COUNTIFS($F$1:$F1,D2)<VLOOKUP(D2,$J$1:$K$4,2,FALSE),D2,E2)))

Columns A:F can be added into a pivot table to create the output.
Seniority Shift Bidding.PNG

2 things, How would I need to edit the Formula if i wanted to add headers to the j1:k4 table. and 2, how did I **** up, since Matt should have A Shift.

Upvote 0
View attachment 1044
2 things, How would I need to edit the Formula if i wanted to add headers to the j1:k4 table. and 2, how did I **** up, since Matt should have A Shift.
Okay, never mind on both of those points, got both of them working perfectly, now I'm just having trouble on the pivot table, it keeps wanting to give me the count of people each shift, I need their actual names. I'm using columns as "Shift Given" and the only options for values are number functions.

Upvote 0
No headers needed in J1:K4.

I made a mistake with the formula, because of the headers I added later. Please see below in red the changes.

=IF(COUNTIFS($F$1:$F2,B2)<VLOOKUP(B2,$J$1:$K$4,2,FALSE),B2,IF(COUNTIFS($F$1:$F2,C2)<VLOOKUP(C2,$J$1:$K$4,2,FALSE),C2,IF(COUNTIFS($F$1:$F2,D2)<VLOOKUP(D2,$J$1:$K$4,2,FALSE),D2,E2)))

Upvote 0
Add the following formula in cel G2, and copy down:
=F2&COUNTIFS($F$1:$F2;$F2)

Add a new table for the output. For simplicity sake I copied it below the input table in cells A21:E26, but obviously you can place it anywhere you want including a seperate worksheet.
Copy the formula in cell B22 into cells B22:E26.

column AColumn BColumn CColumn DColumn E
Row 21NumberABCD
Row 221=IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$17,MATCH(B$21&$A22,$G$2:$G$17,0),1),"")
Row 232
Row 243
Row 254
Row 265
Row 27and so on

Upvote 0
No headers needed in J1:K4.

I made a mistake with the formula, because of the headers I added later. Please see below in red the changes.

=IF(COUNTIFS($F$1:$F2,B2)<VLOOKUP(B2,$J$1:$K$4,2,FALSE),B2,IF(COUNTIFS($F$1:$F2,C2)<VLOOKUP(C2,$J$1:$K$4,2,FALSE),C2,IF(COUNTIFS($F$1:$F2,D2)<VLOOKUP(D2,$J$1:$K$4,2,FALSE),D2,E2)))
Thank you so much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonnaRisso

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back