SEPARATING ALPHANUMERIC DATA WHEN PATTERN IS IRREGULAR

tyronemeister

Is there a way to automatically separate numbers and letters in cells when the number of letters and/or numbers varies, preferably with vba? That is, separate them to different columns.

There's no delimiter and the width is not fixed, so the text to columns feature is not useful without sorting the information first. Apparently, isnumber cannot be used to because numbers are recognized as text when concatenated with letters.

Here's an example of what I want to do:

Before separating the data:

12ABB
1ABB
12AB

After separating:

Code:
Col1    Col2

12       ABB
1        ABB
12       AB

Thanks.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number

Norie

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Are the numbers always at the start?
Code:
Sub Seperate()
    For Each c In Range("A1:A10")

c.Offset(, 1) = Val(c.Value)
        c.Offset(, 2) = Mid(c.Value, Len(c.Offset(, 1)) + 1)

Next c
End Sub

Greg Truby

MrExcel MVP
<ul>[*]=regexpsubstitute(A1,"[A-Z a-z]","")[*]=regexpsubstitute(A1,"[0-9]","")[/list] Where the function regexpsubstitute is taken from Tushar's site.

Greg Truby

MrExcel MVP
Yes, but you may wish to make note of the difference in output should the input ever stray from the format you describe. Compare the results of each when inputs are things like<ul>[*]1AB2DE3[*]123ABC123[*]GHI789[*]XYZ[*]123[/list]I cannot speculate as to which solution would yield more desireable results for you (or indeed perhaps neither would). But I would think that from your POV it would be worth noting.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gaexel