Shared workbook - accessing a database fixed onto one computer on another computer

thebeast11

Hi,

I have access to 2 computers, and on one of them there is some built-in Excel functionality which enables me to extract information from a database stored on the computer. So, for example, if I type in "Peter" in the Name column, the adjacent cell will give me the DOB stored in the database for Peter (using a custom made Excel function). I am only able to access the database through the use of these functions.

Now, the trouble is, 95% of the time I am working on my other computer and I have no access to the database on this computer (and there is indeed no way of gaining access, no flexibility here). Currently I am forced to work on my 1st computer, get all the information I need on the spreadsheet, save the file on the Network and then open it on my 2nd PC. When opening on my 2nd PC, I must be careful not to refresh the formulas as they will then give me an error message if I do (because the functions obviously do not work on my 2nd PC).

Now, this is somewhat time consuming and I was hoping to find a better way. I thought about using shared workbooks; so what I want to happen is:
1) I create a shared workbook and open on both PCs.
2) I am working on my 2nd PC and I input a name into Column A.
3) The spreadsheet open on my 1st PC refreshes to see the name I just input (using the 2nd PC) and all functions refresh to give DOB..etc.
4) The spreadsheet refreshes on my 2nd PC and I see this data.

How do I go about achieving this? It sounds simple enough in my head yet I can't think of an effective way to achieve this. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
If you don't have access to the computer with the database, I doubt that the shared file idea would work, but set the share to refresh every minute (using the Advanced tab). Use worksheet events on the database computer to run the functions.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back