Shared Workbook - prevent users entering same cell at same time

gordsky

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a shared workbook that lets staff input their hours for overtime. The problem I have found is that two users can be typing in the same cell at the same time and the last one to enter will overwrite the other. Is there a way within a shared workbook to only allow one person to enter data into a cell at once.

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
You have found one of the major issues with the old workbook sharing process. I haven't found an easy workaround. I think the best way to "share" a workbook is to only allow each person to edit their own data. I have created data entry forms on sheets that allow a person to edit data and then save to a DB sheet.

Upvote 0
Or do co-authoring? Your profile shows Office 2016 but I think that doesn't necessarily mean you have a 365 account. You need that for co=authoring.

Upvote 0
@Micron . In your experience with Co-Authoring, doesn't it require that you share that with specific users? Meaning, anybody with access to a certain folder wouldn't be able to share the workbook?

Upvote 0
Sorry, can't say; have never done so. I only know what little I read on the subject of sharing workbooks. It's my understanding that it has to be done in conjunction with OneDrive, so it needs a 365 account. M$ Access doesn't have a sharing problem like Excel does. I see so much being done or asking to be done around here with Excel when it really isn't the right tool for the job in many of those cases.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back