Show date/time that cell was last modified

Void_

Hello.
In a table, I would like a column to show the last date/time that the calculations in the neighboring column were updated. In particular StateBuilder is a calculated column in my table. The neighboring column SB_Time should populate with the date/time whenever a cell in StateBuilder has a new result calculated.

My below code accomplishes this exactly as desired, with one problem. After the workbook is opened, the first calculation update to StateBuilder does not update SB_Time. All subsequent updates to StateBuilder successfully update SB_Time as desired. I can’t determine why the first update never works and I am seeking a solution.

If I remove the “IsEmpty(previousStates)” condition from the below code, I get a Type Mismatch error at line “previousState = previousStates(i, 1)” and I can’t determine why.

Some notes
• StateBuilder is a remotely calculated column so Worksheet_Change and Worksheet_SelectionChange events will not work for this purpose
• The table name is MasterState
• The worksheet name is UseState

I appreciate any suggestions. While it may appear otherwise, I have the comprehension of a small child. So if you are inclined to offer any suggestions or instructions, please spell them out in simple and deliberative terms.

VBA Code:
Private previousStates As Variant ' Declare a variant variable to store the previous states

Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim currentState As Variant
    Dim i As Long

Set rng = Me.Range("MasterState[StateBuilder]") ' Assuming MasterState is a table

Application.EnableEvents = False ' Disable events to prevent recursive calls

If IsEmpty(previousStates) Then
        ' Store the previous states for the first time
        previousStates = rng.Value
    Else
        ' Loop through the StateBuilder column
        For i = 1 To rng.Rows.Count
            currentState = rng.Cells(i, 1).Value
            previousState = previousStates(i, 1)

' Check if the current state is different from the previous state
            If currentState <> previousState Then
                ' Update the SB_Time column with the current date and time
                rng.Cells(i, 2).Value = Now()
            End If
        Next i
    End If

' Update the previous states for the next iteration
    previousStates = rng.Value

Application.EnableEvents = True ' Enable events again
End Sub

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Hi there.

The previousStates variable is Empty until the first time the Worksheet_Calculate event is triggered, so you'll have to write to the previousStates variable prior to that event. This can be accomplished by using the Workbook_Open event in the Workbook object.

The below should resolve your issue. If you're interested, I can advise on some code optimization/organization as well.

1. Append the following to the bottom of the Worksheet object's VBA code:
VBA Code:
Public Sub Write_to_PreviousStates()
    previousStates = Me.Range("MasterState[StateBuilder]").Value
End Sub

2. Add VBA code to the Workbook object (replace Sheet1 with the code name for your Worksheet object where the MasterState table resides).
VBA Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Call Sheet1.Write_to_PreviousStates
End Sub

Upvote 1
Solution
Hi there.

The previousStates variable is Empty until the first time the Worksheet_Calculate event is triggered, so you'll have to write to the previousStates variable prior to that event. This can be accomplished by using the Workbook_Open event in the Workbook object.

The below should resolve your issue. If you're interested, I can advise on some code optimization/organization as well.

1. Append the following to the bottom of the Worksheet object's VBA code:
VBA Code:
Public Sub Write_to_PreviousStates()
    previousStates = Me.Range("MasterState[StateBuilder]").Value
End Sub

2. Add VBA code to the Workbook object (replace Sheet1 with the code name for your Worksheet object where the MasterState table resides).
VBA Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Call Sheet1.Write_to_PreviousStates
End Sub
SOLVED!
Brilliant! Thank you! Not only did this solve the issue, your explanation was clear and easy to follow. I thought this might be my problem so I had spent a lot of time experimenting with Workbook_Open within the same worksheet’s code. I did not think to write a separate sub to write previousStates and then call it with Workbook_Open in the Workbook object. It’s not clear to me why this worked and my method didn’t but I’m happy to be able to move on.
Thank you again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back