simplify and if formula

d0wnt0wn

hey guys,

I am wondering if there is a more simple way to do this

=IF(AND(B3=8,C3="B"),4,IF(AND(B3=9,C3="B"),7,IF(AND(B3=7,C3="A"),0,IF(AND(B3=8,C3="A"),2,IF(AND(B3=9,C3="A"),5,IF(AND(B3=7,C3="B"),2,IF(AND(B3=7,C3="C"),4,IF(AND(B3=8,C3="C"),6,IF(AND(B3=9,C3="c"),9,IF(AND(B3=7,C3="B"),2,IF(AND(B3=7,C3="P"),-2,IF(AND(B3=8,C3="P"),0,IF(AND(B3=9,C3="P"),3,"")))))))))))))

essentially its looking for 2 criteria to give me a value. For example if cell B3=8 and C3=A the result is 2..... 8 is woth 2 points and A is worth 0... but what i really want is to make it so i can easily add more criteria to get my result and be able to change the value of each of those criteria without having to change the whole formula each time

B3 in your formula contains a number, either 7, 8 or 9 so B3-6 will be either 1, 2 or 3 (7-6, 8-6 or 9-6).

It works with this, but as I said in post 8, if any changes or additions don't follow the same pattern then you will have problems.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
It simply subtracts 6 from the value in B3.

Upvote 0
All of your values in B3 are 7, 8 or 9. Subtracting 6 leaves you with 1, 2 or 3, which will return the first, second or third arguments after that in the CHOOSE function.

Upvote 0
All of your values in B3 are 7, 8 or 9. Subtracting 6 leaves you with 1, 2 or 3, which will return the first, second or third arguments after that in the CHOOSE function.
thank you i literally just realized that 5 minutes ago

Upvote 0
thanks you all for your help i ended up using multiple formulas and index charts for different things

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back