Slicers: delete/disable slicer member?

ak12

Is there a way to delete/disable/filter dimension members that are shown as slicer buttons?

Since my data set is huge I cannot display the slicer dimension in my pivottable, and apply a filter there.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Is there a way to delete/disable/filter dimension members that are shown as slicer buttons?

Since my data set is huge I cannot display the slicer dimension in my pivottable, and apply a filter there.

Thanks in advance.

Can you provide a clearer example? Are you trying to use a sliecr for customer name, for example, and you have one million customers?

Upvote 0
sliecr for customer name, for example, and you have one million customers?
Yes, this is what I want to do.

I have loaded my PowerPivot with fact from a SSAS cube. In one of the dimensions, say a Product dimension, I have a product account called "Other" that I want to omit from the dimension/slicer.

Upvote 0
sliecr for customer name, for example, and you have one million customers?
Yes, this is what I want to do.

I have loaded my PowerPivot with fact from a SSAS cube. In one of the dimensions, say a Product dimension, I have a product account called "Other" that I want to omit from the dimension/slicer.

Ok, let's say you have a column called "ProductName" and you want to avoid the ones where the "ProcductCategory" is "Other".
You can create a new calculated column:
Code:
NewProductName = IF (
    Product[ProductCategory] = "Other",
    BLANK (),
    Product[ProductName]
)
And then use a slicer on this column, where all of the products with category "Other" will be collapsed in a single blank value.
Does it help? I strongly suggest everybody to post examples and screenshots to make their request clearer... otherwise it is hard to interpret the needs.
Alberto

Upvote 0
Alberto, thank you for your commitment to have this sorted out. We are almost down to the core of this.

I am not trying to avoid members in the dimension as in your suggested solution.

I want to omit/delete/hide them altogether from the slicer.

Is it possible to omit/delete/hide the single blank value, making it not visible in the slicer at all?

Maybe a better suited SSAS cube that is a sub set of the original SSAS cube is the best solution?

Upvote 0
Alberto, thank you for your commitment to have this sorted out. We are almost down to the core of this.

I am not trying to avoid members in the dimension as in your suggested solution.

I want to omit/delete/hide them altogether from the slicer.

Is it possible to omit/delete/hide the single blank value, making it not visible in the slicer at all?

Maybe a better suited SSAS cube that is a sub set of the original SSAS cube is the best solution?

Well, you know, I'm Italian and - to me - the difference between "avoiding" and "omitting" (or "hiding") is far from being clear, they all mean the same to me.
Can you provide a picture or a sample workbook? I simply don't understand. :(

Upvote 0
It is all very simple :)

It all boils down to this: Can the single blank value button in the slicer be deleted?

Albertos suggestion:
...And then use a slicer on this column, where all of the products with category "Other" will be collapsed in a single blank value....

Upvote 0
It is all very simple :)

It all boils down to this: Can the single blank value button in the slicer be deleted?

Albertos suggestion:
...And then use a slicer on this column, where all of the products with category "Other" will be collapsed in a single blank value....

Oh, well... now the problem is very clear. BUT I don't have a solution. :)
I don't think there is a way to avoid the slicer to show all the values in a column, even if the fact table does not contain any data, all the column values will be shown, AFAIK. BLANK() is a value as any other... maybe some Excel guru will have a better luck...

Upvote 0
At Pivotstream, when we want to get rid of that blank value in the slicer, we go back into the db and trim out the rows of data that don't match.

For instance, if we have three customers in our Customers table - A, B, and C. And then we have rows in our Sales table that either have a CustomerID = D, or a blank CustomerID, we get rid of those rows from Sales (or add customer D to the Customers table, etc.)

That's the only way to truly fix this problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrissy_M

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back