Solver used to find combination of credit card charges totaling a certain value

jaywelliott

Situation and reason for using solver:
I am using Excel to unravel what combination of credit card charges sum to a certain total found in QuickBooks.
My issue is I have the statements but no notation from the person that posted the combination of charges as to which ones they used to sum to a total posted to say "meals & entertainment".

I have used solver to find a solution and have a screen shot below of the initial set up:

(note, the URL producing website sourced back to my solver example with innappropriate pictures. If someone knows of a image upload site that produces clean URL pages that are safe viewing please let me know).

When I click solve with the parameters you see above, it does not select the charges I know are related to meals.

Question is: why is it not finding this combination? Second, how do I get it to find that combination?
Because there were only a few charges on this card I could easily see that solver did not pick the correct combination.
When I've got a larger sample of charges, I'd like to know it is accurately picking the correct combination.

Here's the result. Highlighted charges per the statement are definitely restaurants. Solver has found another combination that matches my desired total.

(note, the URL producing website sourced back to my solver example with innappropriate pictures. If someone knows of a image upload site that produces clean URL pages that are safe viewing please let me know).

I know of one way to unravel this and that is to try summing a different total of charges to get an answer, then removing those from the values, and rerunning until I actually get to an answer I know is correct. (So I'm testing an easier to find sum for say, travel, then testing everything less travel to find repairs, then everything less travel and repairs to find meals and so on.)

This is the example source for where I found how to use solver for my problem: http://www.k2e.com/tech-update/tips/147-using-excel-to-identify-entries-that-add-to-a-specific-value

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jay

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krishnamadison

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back