Solving this problem with dynamic array formula

tm23

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Dear all,
How would you solve the concatenation of the column comment, without vba and using only one dynamic array formula in E2
So far, I have something like this, but this is not dynamic, even if you add D2#
=JOINTEXT("/",TRUE,IF($A$2:$A$5=D2,$B$2:$B$5,""))
Thanks for any idea.

IDCommentIDComment concatenated
15​
AA
12​
CC/DD
16​
BB
16​
BB
12​
CC
12​
DD

Attachments

• 1598773743801.png
    1598773743801.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 6

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Hi Dear,

Please try the below

Book1
ABCDE
1IDCommentIDComment concatenated
215AA12CC/DD
316BB15AA
412CC16BB
512DD
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2:D4D2=SORT(UNIQUE(A2:A5),,1)
E2:E4E2=TEXTJOIN("/",TRUE,IF($A$2:$A$5=D2,$B$2:$B$5,""))
Dynamic array formulas.

Regards

Upvote 0
You can change both ranges to Excel Tables in order to cater for any additional data points added in column A&B

Upvote 0
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
How about
+Fluff New.xlsm
ABCDE
215AA12CC/DD
316BB15AA
412CC16BB
512DD
Master
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2:D4D2=SORT(UNIQUE(FILTER(A2:A20,A2:A20<>"")))
E2:E4E2=TEXTJOIN("/",,FILTER($B$2:$B$20,$A$2:$A$20=D2))
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Let me clarify my problem.

A2:B5 is the result of a dynamic array formula. So it will auto-expand.
D2:D4 is also the result of a dynamic array formula. So it will auto-expand.

In E2, I would like to have a dynamic array formula that will also auto-expand according to the number of cells in D2:D4 or D2#

Fluff's formula is working, but I need to copy-down it.

This one (with a # after the D2) is not working and return #REF
=TEXTJOIN("/",,FILTER($B$2:$B$20,$A$2:$A$20=D2#))

I hope I am clearer.

Thank you for any help.

Upvote 0
Sorry, it returns #N/A, but still the same problem, it does not auto-expand.

Upvote 0
Classeur2
ABCDEF
215AA12#N/A#N/A
316BB15
412CC16
512DD
Feuil1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E2E2=TEXTJOIN("/",TRUE,FILTER($B$2:$B$20,$A$2:$A$20=D2#))
F2F2=TEXTJOIN("/",TRUE,IF($A$2:$A$5=D2#,$B$2:$B$5,""))
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
Ok, so after several hours, I think I have something.
There should be no | and \ in the comments (but this is relatively easy to check).
References for filterxml : SUMCOLS and SUMROWS functions for Dynamic Arrays

simplified problem.xlsm
ABCDEFG
1IDCommentIDComment concatenatedFinal solution :
212AA12#N/A#N/AAA
313BB13BB|DD
415CC15CC
513DD
Feuil1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E2E2=TEXTJOIN("/",TRUE,FILTER($B$2:$B$20,$A$2:$A$20=D2#))
F2F2=TEXTJOIN("/",TRUE,IF($A$2:$A$5=D2#,$B$2:$B$5,""))
G2:G4G2=LET( range1,$A$2:$A$5, range_to_concatenate,$B$2:$B$5, col_range_to_concat,B:B, range2,D2#, delimiteur_ligne,"\", range_before_split,IFERROR(INDEX(col_range_to_concat,IF((range2=TRANSPOSE(range1)),TRANSPOSE(ROW(range_to_concatenate)),"")),"|"), CountCol_range_before_split,COLUMNS(range_before_split), range_to_split,TEXTJOIN(IF(ROUNDDOWN(SEQUENCE(CountCol_range_before_split,1,1,1/(CountCol_range_before_split-1)),0)>1,delimiteur_ligne,"|"),0,range_before_split), SUBSTITUTE( TRANSPOSE(INDEX(TRANSPOSE(FILTERXML("<b><a>"&SUBSTITUTE(TEXTJOIN(delimiteur_ligne,,range_to_split),delimiteur_ligne,"</a><a>")&"</a></b>","//a")), SEQUENCE(ROWS(range_to_split), LEN(INDEX(range_to_split,1,1))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(INDEX(range_to_split,1,1),delimiteur_ligne,))+1))), "||",""))
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
In E2, I would like to have a dynamic array formula that will also auto-expand according to the number of cells in D2:D4 or D2#
The problem with that is that it is a TEXTJOIN. If you try to make it apply to the whole spill range then I think you will find that it either will not work at all or your will get unwanted values in the textjoin for each row. I would be happy if shown to be wrong about that though. :)

This (E2) could be copied down as far as you might ever need. The range that the FILTER applies to in the column E formula will auto-expand though, unlike the earlier suggestions.
Ignore my A2 formula - I had to manufacture something to get a spill result in columns A:B. ;)

I have also given a suggestion for an auto-expanding formula for column D rather than the fixed range that you have used.

tm23 1.xlsm
ABCDE
1IDCommentIDComments
215AA12CC/DD
316BB15AA
412CC16BB
512DD 
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A2:B5A2=FILTER(N2:O20,(N2:N20<20)*(N2:N20<>0))
D2:D4D2=SORT(UNIQUE(INDEX(A2#,0,1)))
E2:E6E2=IF(D2="","",TEXTJOIN("/",1,FILTER(INDEX(A$2#,0,2),INDEX(A$2#,0,1)=D2)))
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
Dear Peter,
Thank you for your answer and comments.
I will try to explain the general idea on how to make the TEXTJOIN spills, although this is not a "real" native spill, but the result looks the same. I have some concerns regarding speed and maximum amount of data. I will test it soon in my "real-life" situation.

[Edit to my previous post] : I gathered the information on the FILTERXML here : Add a Split dynamic array function

The general idea is to create an array with the different comments, then to textjoin these comments with a separator for rows and another one for columns, then to split again, but this time, only by rows using firlterxml.
I also modified the formula to consider the more general case where some ID in column D would not be found in column A (obviously not a unique formula then).

Details :
simplified problem3.xlsm
LMNOPQ
1Explanations
3Definitions of the first set of variables with LET
4=LET( range1;A2#; range_to_concatenate;B2#; col_range_to_concat;B:B; range2;D2#; delimiteur_ligne;"\";"")
6Definition of range_before_split:
7The general idea is to create an array between A2# and D2#, then to match the row number, and then the value of B2#
8=LET(range1;A2#;range_to_concatenate;B2#;col_range_to_concat;B:B;range2;D2#;separator_row;"\"; SIERREUR(INDEX(col_range_to_concat;SI((range2=TRANSPOSE(range1));TRANSPOSE(LIGNE(range_to_concatenate));""));"|"))
9||CCDD
10AA|||
11|BB||
13Details of this calculation:
14We look for the row of the intersection of A2# and D2#
15=SI((D2#=TRANSPOSE(A2#));TRANSPOSE(LIGNE(B2#));"")
16 45
20We use the INDEX to return the value of B2# (the comment)
21If we can't find it, we replace with "|"
22=SIERREUR(INDEX(B:B;SI((D2#=TRANSPOSE(A2#));TRANSPOSE(LIGNE(B2#));""));"|")
23||CCDD
24AA|||
25|BB||
27Group the array in one string with separator for rows and for columns
29=LET(range1;A2#;range_to_concatenate;B2#;col_range_to_concat;B:B;range2;D2#;separator_row;"\"; range_before_split;SIERREUR(INDEX(col_range_to_concat;SI((range2=TRANSPOSE(range1));TRANSPOSE(LIGNE(range_to_concatenate));""));"|"); CountCol_range_before_split;COLONNES(range_before_split); JOINDRE.TEXTE(SI(ARRONDI.INF(SEQUENCE(CountCol_range_before_split;1;1;1/(SI(CountCol_range_before_split=1;1;CountCol_range_before_split-1)));0)>1;separator_row;"|");0;range_before_split))
30||||CC|DD\AA||||||\||BB||||
32Use FILTERXML to split by rows + remove useless separators
33=LET(range1;A2#;range_to_concatenate;B2#;col_range_to_concat;B:B;range2;D2#;separator_row;"\"; range_before_split;SIERREUR(INDEX(col_range_to_concat;SI((range2=TRANSPOSE(range1));TRANSPOSE(LIGNE(range_to_concatenate));""));"|"); CountCol_range_before_split;COLONNES(range_before_split); range_to_split;JOINDRE.TEXTE(SI(ARRONDI.INF(SEQUENCE(CountCol_range_before_split;1;1;1/(SI(CountCol_range_before_split=1;1;CountCol_range_before_split-1)));0)>1;separator_row;"|");0;range_before_split); SUBSTITUE( TRANSPOSE(INDEX((FILTRE.XML("<b><a>"&SUBSTITUE(JOINDRE.TEXTE(separator_row;;range_to_split);separator_row;"</a><a>")&"</a></b>";"//a")); SEQUENCE(LIGNES(range_to_split); NBCAR(INDEX(range_to_split;1;1))-NBCAR(SUBSTITUE(INDEX(range_to_split;1;1);separator_row;))+1))); "||";""))
34CC|DD
35AA
36BB
Feuil1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
L4,L33,L29,L22,L15,L8L4=FORMULATEXT(L5)
L5L5=LET( range1,A2#, range_to_concatenate,B2#, col_range_to_concat,B:B, range2,D2#, delimiteur_ligne,"\","")
L9:O11L9=LET(range1,A2#,range_to_concatenate,B2#,col_range_to_concat,B:B,range2,D2#,separator_row,"\", IFERROR(INDEX(col_range_to_concat,IF((range2=TRANSPOSE(range1)),TRANSPOSE(ROW(range_to_concatenate)),"")),"|"))
L16:O18L16=IF((D2#=TRANSPOSE(A2#)),TRANSPOSE(ROW(B2#)),"")
L23:O25L23=IFERROR(INDEX(B:B,IF((D2#=TRANSPOSE(A2#)),TRANSPOSE(ROW(B2#)),"")),"|")
L30L30=LET(range1,A2#,range_to_concatenate,B2#,col_range_to_concat,B:B,range2,D2#,separator_row,"\", range_before_split,IFERROR(INDEX(col_range_to_concat,IF((range2=TRANSPOSE(range1)),TRANSPOSE(ROW(range_to_concatenate)),"")),"|"), CountCol_range_before_split,COLUMNS(range_before_split), TEXTJOIN(IF(ROUNDDOWN(SEQUENCE(CountCol_range_before_split,1,1,1/(IF(CountCol_range_before_split=1,1,CountCol_range_before_split-1))),0)>1,separator_row,"|"),0,range_before_split))
L34:L36L34=LET(range1,A2#,range_to_concatenate,B2#,col_range_to_concat,B:B,range2,D2#,separator_row,"\", range_before_split,IFERROR(INDEX(col_range_to_concat,IF((range2=TRANSPOSE(range1)),TRANSPOSE(ROW(range_to_concatenate)),"")),"|"), CountCol_range_before_split,COLUMNS(range_before_split), range_to_split,TEXTJOIN(IF(ROUNDDOWN(SEQUENCE(CountCol_range_before_split,1,1,1/(IF(CountCol_range_before_split=1,1,CountCol_range_before_split-1))),0)>1,separator_row,"|"),0,range_before_split), SUBSTITUTE( TRANSPOSE(INDEX((FILTERXML("<b><a>"&SUBSTITUTE(TEXTJOIN(separator_row,,range_to_split),separator_row,"</a><a>")&"</a></b>","//a")), SEQUENCE(ROWS(range_to_split), LEN(INDEX(range_to_split,1,1))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(INDEX(range_to_split,1,1),separator_row,))+1))), "||",""))
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back