Some entries with 2 rows of data, some only have one. Take 1st row where there's only one, take 2nd row, where there's 2

marenello99

Hi this is my first post here so sorry for any probs! I have a table with rows containing names and associated data, that I need to VLOOKUP into another spreadsheet. Some names have just one row, in which case I need the info from that row, but others have two rows of data and in this case I only need the second row of data. I've tried to show this!

So for 'Person A' i'd need all the data in 'extra' row, for 'Person B' I'd need all the data in the '(Basic)' row as they have no '(Extra)' data and for 'Person C', I'd need all the data in the 'extra' row.
Person A (Basic)56789
Person A (Extra)7891011
Person B (Basic)678910
Person C (Basic)89101112
Person C (Extra)910111213

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Can you use a macro?
Code:
Sub copystuff()
Dim sh1 As Worksheet, sh2 As Worksheet, c As Range
Set sh1 = Sheets(1) 'Edit sheet name - this is sheet with original data
Set sh2 = Sheets(2) 'Edit sheet name
    For Each c In sh1.Range("A2", sh1.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp))
        If c.Value = c.Offset(1, 0).Value Then
            GoTo SKIP:
        Else
            c.EntireRow.Copy sh2.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp)(2)
        End If
SKIP:
    Next
End Sub

Upvote 0
Can you use a macro?
Code:
Sub copystuff()
Dim sh1 As Worksheet, sh2 As Worksheet, c As Range
Set sh1 = Sheets(1) 'Edit sheet name - this is sheet with original data
Set sh2 = Sheets(2) 'Edit sheet name
    For Each c In sh1.Range("A2", sh1.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp))
        If c.Value = c.Offset(1, 0).Value Then
            GoTo SKIP:
        Else
            c.EntireRow.Copy sh2.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp)(2)
        End If
SKIP:
    Next
End Sub

------------------------------------------------

Great thanks for this, I'll give it a go, although my knowledge is very limited on macros!

Upvote 0
------------------------------------------------

Great thanks for this, I'll give it a go, although my knowledge is very limited on macros!

To use the macro, copy it to your standard code module 1. To access that code module, press Alt + F11. If the large pane is dark when the VB editor opens, click 'Insert' on the editor menu bar, then click 'Module'. When the large pane is bright then you can copy the code into it. To run the code from the Excel window, press Alt + F8, click on the macro name in the Macro Dialog Box that appears, then click 'Run'. You can also use the Options button to assign a keyboard shortcut for the macro. If you will have continuing need for the macro, then save your workbook as a macro enabled workbook with file extension .xlsm.

Regards, JLG

Upvote 0
To use the macro, copy it to your standard code module 1. To access that code module, press Alt + F11. If the large pane is dark when the VB editor opens, click 'Insert' on the editor menu bar, then click 'Module'. When the large pane is bright then you can copy the code into it. To run the code from the Excel window, press Alt + F8, click on the macro name in the Macro Dialog Box that appears, then click 'Run'. You can also use the Options button to assign a keyboard shortcut for the macro. If you will have continuing need for the macro, then save your workbook as a macro enabled workbook with file extension .xlsm.

Regards, JLG

----------------------

Thanks JLG, I have clicked the 'like' option by your comment, but I can't see a 'helpful' button or anything on this forum, so guessing that's not the way it works on here, so I'll just have to say cheers like this!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
----------------------

Thanks JLG, I have clicked the 'like' option by your comment, but I can't see a 'helpful' button or anything on this forum, so guessing that's not the way it works on here, so I'll just have to say cheers like this!

Thanks for the feedback,
Regards, JLG

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kokoanutt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back