Sort emails in Outlook 365 folder, and loop through them opening the oldest first

netrixuser

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Any help given, as always, gratefully received....
I have the code below that loops through any unread emails in a certain folder and imports the attached csv file into a Workbook.
My issue is in trying to get the code to open the oldest unread email first, followed by next oldest etc. At the moment the code appears to be a tad random in which email it opens first.

To test I have 5 emails in the referenced email folder beneath the Inbox, with dates and times as in the table below: [The emails are currently sorted by attachment size]
When the code runs it selects the email sent on Friday 4th August first, which is neither the oldest or the newest, nor the first or the last in the folder. If I have the email folder sorted by date, the code selects the newest email first - and I want the exact opposite.
Wed 09/08/2023 03:47
Fri 04/08/2023 04:28
Tue 08/08/2023 22:24
Thu 03/08/2023 05:03
Thu 03/08/2023 11:34

I added this small piece of code below, just before the Loop "For each AlertEmail in Folder.ITems" but it made no difference, set to True or False
VBA Code:
Dim Items As Object

Set Items = Folder.Items
    Items.Sort "Receivedtime", True

For Each AlertEmail In Folder.Items

Main Code
VBA Code:
Sub TESTGetEmailFromOutlook()
' Need References added for Microsoft Outlook Object Library and
' "Microsoft Shell Controls And Automation"
Dim OutlookApp As Outlook.Application
Dim OutlookNamespace As Namespace
Dim Folder As MAPIFolder   'variable to store the name of the Outlook folder
Dim Alertemail As Variant
Dim OutlookAtch As Object
Dim NewFileName As String
Dim OutlookSent As Variant
Dim lastRow As Integer   'variable used to increment row by 1 when refreshing the query
    lastRow = 1
Const AlertemailSenderAddress = "no-reply@abc123.com"
Const AlertemailSubjectKey = "Missing Recording Alerts Update"

Dim shell As Shell32.shell
Dim DestinationFolder As Shell32.Folder
Dim SourceFolder As Shell32.Folder

'Configure Paths for zip files on disk
    Set shell = New Shell32.shell
    Dim AttachmentDestinationFolder As Variant

AttachmentDestinationFolder = "C:\Temp\UnzippedAttachments" 
    Set DestinationFolder = shell.Namespace(AttachmentDestinationFolder)

'check for Attachment Destination Folder
    If Dir(AttachmentDestinationFolder, vbDirectory) = "" Then
        MsgBox "Destination folder not found, please create: " & AttachmentDestinationFolder, vbExclamation, "Exit"
        Exit Sub
    End If

Dim AttachmentSourceFileName As String 'variable to store the name of the zipped file
AttachmentSourceFileName = "c:\Temp\Attachments\log.zip" 'set the variable to Path:Log.zip

Set OutlookApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
Set OutlookNamespace = OutlookApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")
Dim SharedMailbox As Object 'variable to store name of Outlook folder
Dim MailFolder As Object

Dim OutlookNS As Outlook.Namespace
    Set OutlookNS = OutlookApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")
    OutlookNS.Logon
    Set SharedMailbox = OutlookNS.CreateRecipient("SharedMail@ABC.com") 'store Outlook folder as the Variable "SharedMailbox"
    SharedMailbox.Resolve

'if the ShareMailbox name exists, store the name of the Outlook folder as the Variable "Folder"
    If SharedMailbox.Resolved Then

Set Folder = OutlookNS.GetSharedDefaultFolder(SharedMailbox, olFolderInbox).Folders("New Alerts")
    End If

'if Outlook folder is empty - display message and end code
    If Folder.UnReadItemCount = 0 Then
        MsgBox ("There are no Unread Emails - The script will now end"), vbExclamation
    End
    End If

Dim UnredEmailCnt As Integer 'variable to store number of unread emails in Oulook folder

'if unread emails, count and display number
    If Folder.UnReadItemCount > 0 Then
        UnredEmailCnt = Folder.UnReadItemCount
        MsgBox "Found " & UnredEmailCnt & " matching Alert E-mail(s)"
    End If

Dim EmailSubject As String 'variable to store email subject
Dim EmailSenderEmailAddress As String 'variable to store email senders address

For Each Alertemail In Folder.Items

EmailSubject = LCase(Alertemail.Subject) 'assign value to variable
EmailSenderEmailAddress = LCase(Alertemail.SenderEmailAddress) 'assign value to variable

If ((StrComp(EmailSenderEmailAddress, AlertemailSenderAddress, vbTextCompare) = 0) And InStr(1, EmailSubject, LCase(AlertemailSubjectKey), vbTextCompare)) Then
        If Alertemail.UnRead = True Then

Alertemail.Attachments.Item(1).SaveAsFile (AttachmentSourceFileName)        'Save zipped attachment to Attachments folder
                Set SourceFolder = shell.Namespace(AttachmentSourceFileName)                   'set the source file name to path:Log.zip
                DestinationFolder.CopyHere SourceFolder.Items                                '??? UnZip File and save csv file to Unzipped Attachments Folder

Alertemail.UnRead = False 'set email to read - needed if deleting on next line ???
                'Alertemail.Delete         'delete email

Dim oFSO As Object
                Dim oFolder As Object
                Dim oFile As Object

Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
                Set oFolder = oFSO.GetFolder(AttachmentDestinationFolder) 'folder where attachment (csv) file is temp stored

For Each oFile In oFolder.Files  'for loop - not really necessary as only one csv file in the folder at any one time ??
                    FileName = oFile.Path

'store the unique number from the filename in the Resource Sheet
                fname = Left(Right(FileName, 18), 14)
                Sheets("Resource Sheet").Range("S1").Value = fname
                Sheets("resource sheet").Range("S1").Copy
                Sheets("resource sheet").Range("T1").Insert Shift:=xlDown
                    With Sheets("resource sheet").Range("AT1").End(xlDown)
                        Sheets("resource sheet").Range("U1").Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range("T1", Range("T1").End(xlDown)), ">1")
                    End With
                Exit For

Next oFile

Dim ws As Worksheet
Set ws = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Scratch Sheet")
On Error Resume Next
                    With ws.QueryTables.Add(Connection:="TEXT;" & FileName, _
                            Destination:=ws.Range("A" & lastRow))
                         .TextFileParseType = xlDelimited
                         .TextFileCommaDelimiter = True
                         '.TextFileStartRow = 2
                         .Refresh
                    End With

Kill (FileName) 'delete file from AttachmentDestinationFolder
                'Call DeleteExisting 'new attachment will have existing alerts - delete these
                'Call CopyNew 'copy new alerts from Scratch Sheet to Current Alerts sheet
                'Call RemClosed ' remove alerts from Current Alerts that are CLOSED in Scratch Sheet

End If
    End If

Next Alertemail 

'Set MailFolder = Nothing
Set Folder = Nothing
Set OutlookNamespace = Nothing
Set OutlookApp = Nothing
Set shell = Nothing
Set DestinationFolder = Nothing
Set OutlookNS = Nothing
Set SourceFolder = Nothing
Set oFSO = Nothing
Set oFolder = Nothing
Set ws = Nothing
Set SharedMailbox = Nothing

End Sub

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
I added this small piece of code below, just before the Loop "For each AlertEmail in Folder.ITems" but it made no difference, set to True or False
VBA Code:
Dim Items As Object

Set Items = Folder.Items
Items.Sort "Receivedtime", True

For Each AlertEmail In Folder.Items

Because you're still looping through Folder.Items, when it should be Items.Items. But use a different variable name, not Items, and restrict the new items collection to unread emails:

VBA Code:
    Dim unreadItems As Object

Set unreadItems = Folder.Items.Restrict("[Unread]=True")
    unreadItems.Sort "[ReceivedTime]", Descending:=False  'ascending time order - oldest to newest

For Each AlertEmail In unreadItems.Items
and now you don't need the If Alertemail.UnRead = True Then statement inside the loop.

Upvote 0
Because you're still looping through Folder.Items, when it should be Items.Items. But use a different variable name, not Items, and restrict the new items collection to unread emails:

VBA Code:

unreadItems.Sort "[ReceivedTime]", Descending:=False  'ascending time order - oldest to newest

and now you don't need the If Alertemail.UnRead = True Then statement inside the loop.

Many thanks for your reply John_W - apologies for not replying sooner, I am fortunate to only work Mon to Weds :)
I changed my code and remarked out the If statement in the loop as you suggested. The new code Compiles without error but throws an error code 406 "Object doesn't support named arguments" at this line:

VBA Code:

New Code:

VBA Code:
Dim EmailSubject As String 'variable to store email subject
Dim EmailSenderEmailAddress As String 'variable to store email senders address

'For Each Alertemail In Folder.Items

EmailSubject = LCase(Alertemail.Subject) 'assign value to variable
EmailSenderEmailAddress = LCase(Alertemail.SenderEmailAddress) 'assign value to variable

If ((StrComp(EmailSenderEmailAddress, AlertemailSenderAddress, vbTextCompare) = 0) And InStr(1, EmailSubject, LCase(AlertemailSubjectKey), vbTextCompare)) Then
        'If Alertemail.UnRead = True Then

Alertemail.Attachments.Item(1).SaveAsFile (AttachmentSourceFileName)        'Save zipped attachment to Attachments folder
                Set SourceFolder = shell.Namespace(AttachmentSourceFileName)                   'set the source file name to path:Log.zip
                DestinationFolder.CopyHere SourceFolder.Items                                '??? UnZip File and save csv file to Unzipped Attachments Folder

Alertemail.UnRead = False 'set email to read - needed if deleting on next line ???
                'Alertemail.Delete         'delete email

Dim oFSO As Object
                Dim oFolder As Object

Upvote 0
I changed my code and remarked out the If statement in the loop as you suggested. The new code Compiles without error but throws an error code 406 "Object doesn't support named arguments" at this line:

VBA Code:
unreadItems.Sort "[ReceivedTime]", Descending:=False 'ascending time order - oldest to newest

Just remove the argument name:

VBA Code:
unreadItems.Sort "[ReceivedTime]", False 'ascending time order - oldest to newest

Upvote 0
You are a star John_W! thank you again.

I had to remove the .items from this line for it to work - [I find the Microsoft Help files for all VBA errors so hard to decipher !]
VBA Code:

I'm not sure how this site fully works - I would like to mark your reply as the answer, but I have another request - and not sure if I should start a new thread or mention here - so I'll mention here first !!!

I did have the line
VBA Code:
Alertemail.Delete
Within the For Each Alertemail loop, but it messed with the loop, as the number "stored" for the "for each" bit had changed when the loop came to the Next Alertemail line - and the code moved on rather than looping.
After I have run the code over the unread emails I would like to delete those emails, I am just not sure on the process now - thinking I would have to store the details of each email as I process it as a Variable (date/time etc) and then delete after the loop has finished, but in practice there could be around 10 emails to process and I cannot see a way to incorporate the delete command....

Upvote 0
but I have another request - and not sure if I should start a new thread or mention here
You might as well stay in this thread, as it's part of the same macro.

I did have the line
VBA Code:
Alertemail.Delete
Within the For Each Alertemail loop, but it messed with the loop, as the number "stored" for the "for each" bit had changed when the loop came to the Next Alertemail line - and the code moved on rather than looping.

In my tests, each execution of Alertemail.UnRead = False inside the loop removes Alertemail from the unreadItems collection, which also affects looping through the unread emails. It seems that the unreadItems object maintains the restrict criterion previously defined by Set unreadItems = Folder.Items.Restrict("[Unread]=True"). Therefore you should delete Alertemail.UnRead = False.

Use a separate loop to delete the emails, looping backwards:
VBA Code:
    Dim i As Long
    For i = unreadItems.Count To 1 Step -1
        EmailSubject = unreadItems(i).subject
        EmailSenderEmailAddress = unreadItems(i).SenderEmailAddress
        If StrComp(EmailSenderEmailAddress, AlertemailSenderAddress, vbTextCompare) = 0 And InStr(1, EmailSubject, AlertemailSubjectKey, vbTextCompare) Then
            unreadItems(i).Delete
        End If
    Next

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
I can't thank you enough John_W, I am pretty chuffed at where I got with my code, with very little programming knowledge and a lot of Googling, but I would never have worked out these last two pieces that you helped me with.

Thank you for your time, very much appreciated !!

Regards

Netrix

Upvote 0
Thanks for your feedback - glad it's all working.

The thing with Restrict("[Unread]=True") and UnRead = False removing items from the collection is a new discovery for me, so it was useful to learn something new whilst helping you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back