Sort Formula Needed for non-adjacent Columns

BrettOlbrys1

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello. I have the following formula: =SORT(FILTER(A2:G100,C2:C100>100),3,-1)

- I have a data file that I export from Sales system that contains 7 columns of data

- Assume the COMPANY is in column A, QTY column is column C, and the QUARTER is column F

- I want all of the returned columns of data to be sorted first by QUARTER (all quarters grouped together) and second by QTY (from greatest to least).

- The above SORT function returns every column in the data set where the QTY is greater than 100, but I only want specific columns, not every column. If I had 7 columns of data, and I only wanted columns A, C, and F as an example, how do I tell it what columns to return instead of every column?

*** The result should look something like this:

Company QuarterQty
Company Name1250
Company Name1120
Company Name2375
Company Name2300
Company Name3125
Company Name3110
Company Name4550
Company Name4230

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
See if this works, not tested
Excel Formula:
=SORT(FILTER(FILTER(A2:G100,C2:C100>100),{1,0,1,0,0,1,0}),{2,3},-1)

Upvote 0
See if this works, not tested
Excel Formula:
=SORT(FILTER(FILTER(A2:G100,C2:C100>100),{1,0,1,0,0,1,0}),{2,3},-1)
Jason, thanks for the reply. Question, what if I wanted to reorder the columns because I don't like their layout, how would I then accomplish this? For example, if the export from the system is currently:

- COMPANY is in column A, QTY column is column C, and the QUARTER is column F

but I wanted the layout of my final sheet to be:

- COMPANY to be in column A, Quarter to be in column G, and QTY to be in column J

Upvote 0
What about the other columns between those? If you only want to bring over the 3 columns, but spread out then you would need 3 formulas. A single formula can only be used to return a continuous range of results.
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(SORT(FILTER(FILTER(A2:G100,C2:C100>100),{1,0,1,0,0,1,0}),{2,3},-1),0,1)
1 at the end is to return column A, you would change it to 3 for column C, 6 for column F, etc.

Upvote 0
OK, here is the actual formula I landed on in my sheet, but I still have one issue:

=SORT(FILTER(INDEX('DATA - PBI ALL DATA'!E:Z,SEQUENCE(ROWS('DATA - PBI ALL DATA'!E:Z)),{1,21,15,18,2,4}),'DATA - PBI ALL DATA'!$H:$H>=100),6,-1)

In the data sheet, QUARTER is in column 18 and QTY is in column 4. As you can see from the layout I chose {1,21,15,18,2,4}, in my output sheet, QUARTER will be in column 4 and QTY will be in column 6. The whole list is sorted by QTY (column 6) in descending order.

I want to automatically reorder everything by 2 columns, not 1. I want all the quarters to be grouped together (column 4) and then the results in column 6 to be descending. I tried to do this using the SORTBY function, but it didn't work.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
As you can see from the layout I chose {1,21,15,18,2,4},
So you want to return the data from columns E,Y,S,V,F and H in that order and sorted by F ascending then H descending?
Excel Formula:
=SORT(INDEX(FILTER('DATA - PBI ALL DATA'!E:Z,'DATA - PBI ALL DATA'!$H:$H>=100),,{1,21,15,18,2,4})),{4,6},{1,-1})

Upvote 0
So you want to return the data from columns E,Y,S,V,F and H in that order and sorted by F ascending then H descending?
Excel Formula:
=SORT(INDEX(FILTER('DATA - PBI ALL DATA'!E:Z,'DATA - PBI ALL DATA'!$H:$H>=100),,{1,21,15,18,2,4})),{4,6},{1,-1})
One correction to your replay. I want to return values from E, Y, S, V, F, and H in that order and sorted first by V ascending then H descending.

Upvote 0
Did you test the formula?
It says there is an error. My original formula was:

=SORT(FILTER(INDEX('DATA - PBI ALL DATA'!E:Z,SEQUENCE(ROWS('DATA - PBI ALL DATA'!E:Z)),{1,21,15,18,2,4}),'DATA - PBI ALL DATA'!$H:$H>=100),6,-1)

and yours is:

Is the double commas an error ,,?

Upvote 0
No, the double comma is correct. There was an extra closing bracket that I missed, although having done a quick test on the formula before re-posting it, it doesn't work as well as I expected.
The double comma method normally returns all rows in the array, which means that it should work without the sequence function. For some reason the dynamic array functions don't like this so the sequence function is still needed. The slight change below to your original formula should do what you need although I have only done a quick test to make sure that it doesn't error, not to verify the results it returns.
Excel Formula:
=SORT(FILTER(INDEX('DATA - PBI ALL DATA'!E:Z,SEQUENCE(ROWS('DATA - PBI ALL DATA'!E:Z)),{1,21,15,18,2,4}),'DATA - PBI ALL DATA'!$H:$H>=100),{4,6},{1,-1})

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azur3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back