sort numbers with letters

rjplante

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have the macro below which is used to sort a block of numbers and some numbers with letters:

306A
306D

The request has now been made to have a preceding letter. I need to adjust the macro so that it sorts the numbers in the following order. The preceding number will always be an N.

306A
306D
N306

I do not know how to adjust this macro as I obtained the macro here from one of the wizards who know VBA way better than I do. I don't fully understand how it works. If anyone can help me adjsut this so that it sorts the numbers like I have listed above, that would be great.

Thanks for the help.

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Dim numbers As New Collection

Sub SortNumbersWithLetters()

Dim C As Range
  Dim a As Variant, n As Variant, m As Variant, x As Variant
  Dim i As Long, j As Long, k As Long
  Dim col As Long

Set numbers = Nothing
  col = Sheets("Block Tracking All").Range("CF1").Value + 1

a = Range("A5", Cells(Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3).Row, col)).Value
  ReDim b(1 To UBound(a), 1 To col)
  For i = 1 To UBound(a)
    n = Val(a(i, 1))
    m = Mid(a(i, 1), Len(n) + 1)
    addnum Format(n, "000000000") & m
  Next

i = 1
  For Each x In numbers
    n = Val(x)
    m = Mid(x, 10)
    b(i, 1) = Val(n) & m
    For j = 1 To UBound(a)
      If "" & a(j, 1) = b(i, 1) Then
        For k = 2 To UBound(a, 2)
          b(i, k) = a(j, k)
        Next
        Exit For
      End If
    Next
    i = i + 1
  Next
  Range("A5").Resize(UBound(b, 1), UBound(b, 2)).Value = b

Call FC_CLEAR

End Sub

Sub addnum(C)

Dim ii As Long
  For ii = 1 To numbers.Count
    Select Case StrComp(numbers(ii), C, vbTextCompare)
    Case 0, 1
      numbers.Add C, Before:=ii
      Exit Sub
    End Select
  Next
  numbers.Add C 'add to end
End Sub

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
If there is 306P, what should be the result:
this:
306A
306P
N306

or this:

306A
N306
306P

Edit:
Another question:
Are the number always 3 digit & the letter is only one letter?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In addition to the question @Akuini asked (which you should answer), I would like to know...
1) Are the numbers always all three digits long?
2) Are the letters always one character long?
3) Could there be a letter in the front and at the back of the number within a single cell?
4) Since you are using xl365, would a formula solution be acceptable?

Upvote 0
If there is 306P, what should be the result:
this:
306A
306P
N306

or this:

306A
N306
306P

Edit:
Another question:
Are the number always 3 digit & the letter is only one letter?
The numbered portion of the string can range from three digits to as many as 5 digits.
The lettered characters after the numeric portion of the string will only be one characters long.
The lettered characters at the beginning will only be a letter N.

The first order of the sort is correct:
this:
306A
306P
N306

Upvote 0
The numbered portion of the string can range from three digits to as many as 5 digits.
If there is 10000, what should be the result?
this:
306A
306P
N306

or this:

306A
306P
N306

Upvote 0
I believe this formula will produce the sorted values you are looking for (change the range at the beginning to the actual range containing your data)...
Excel Formula:
=LET(r,A1:A20,a,IF(CODE(RIGHT(r))>64,r,r&"x"),b,SORT(RIGHT("       "&IF(LEFT(a)="N",MID(a,2,9)&"|",a&" "),7)),c,SUBSTITUTE(b," ",""),SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(IF(RIGHT(c)="|","N"&c,c),"x",""),"|",""))

Upvote 0
Rick,

That formula is a monster. I do not know where I would put it in the spreadsheet. I have a VBA user form that I use to capture the data I need for the fields. The VBA code when they select OK on the user form will place the values in the correct cells and then initiate the sort. I tried to use XL2BB but it said it would not work in protected view. An image of my table is shown below. The number of panels may vary depending on the system design. There are no formulas in the workbook, just the data entered from the userform1

Cell reference image.png

My user form is shown below.

Userform1.png

My full code that I use on the OK button of the user form is listed below.

NOTE: From the userform1 - Panel field is linked to cell CA1, the terminal Block field is linked to cell CC1, and the Current field in linked to cell DN1. CF1 contains the number of panels on the sheet. In the example above the value in CF1 would be 4. So the reference column and the Current column has to be factored into my cell references.

I hope this more complete explanation helps understand better what I am trying to accomplish.

Thanks for all the assistance. This one is a significant challenge for me. I am learning a lot so far.

Robert

VBA Code:
UserForm1.Hide

'Notify user of no value.
Sheets("Block Tracking All").Unprotect Password:="dmt"

If Sheets("Block Tracking All").Range("CC1").Value = "" Or Sheets("Block Tracking All").Range("CC1").Value = "" Then

MsgBox "There is no value entered into the terminal block." & vbCrLf & "Enter a value for both the Panel and the Terminal Block, or select the Cancel button.", vbOK + vbExclamation
    Sheets("Block Tracking All").Protect DrawingObjects:=False, Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True, Password:="dmt"
    Call New_Entry
    Exit Sub

End If

Dim LastRow As Long
Dim MyRow As Range
Dim x As Integer

LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row

If LastRow < 5 Then
    LastRow = 4
End If

With Sheets("Block Tracking All")
    Set MyRow = .Range("A5:A" & LastRow).Find(What:=Sheets("Block Tracking All").Range("CC1").Value, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole, MatchCase:=True)
End With

If MyRow Is Nothing Then
    Range("A" & LastRow + 1).Value = Sheets("Block Tracking All").Range("CC1").Value

'   Paste value in correct column
    Range("A" & LastRow + 1).Offset(0, Sheets("Block Tracking All").Range("CA1").Value).Value = Sheets("Block Tracking All").Range("CC1").Value
    Range("A" & LastRow + 1).Offset(0, Sheets("Block Tracking All").Range("CF1").Value + 1).Value = Sheets("Block Tracking All").Range("DN1").Value

ElseIf MyRow > 0 Then
    Cells(MyRow.Row, Sheets("Block Tracking All").Range("CA1").Value + 1).Value = Sheets("Block Tracking All").Range("CC1").Value
    Cells(MyRow.Row, Sheets("Block Tracking All").Range("CF1").Value + 2).Value = Sheets("Block Tracking All").Range("DN1").Value

End If

If Sheets("Block Tracking All").Range("A6").Value <> "" Then

Call SortNumbersWithLetters

End If

Sheets("Block Tracking All").Range("A5").Select

Sheets("Block Tracking All").Range("CX1").Value = "YES"
Sheets("Block Tracking All").Protect DrawingObjects:=False, Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True, Password:="dmt"

End Sub

Upvote 0
You asked for a sorted list, correct? Is that sorted list what you show in the "Reference Row" column? If so, and given what you showed as your layout, where on the worksheet did you want the outputted sorted list to go?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back