sort tables by date Access 365

MetLife

Hi,

How can I sort the tables by creation date? I'm using Access 365

Thanks,

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
You don't sort records in tables - you sort them in queries!
Order really has no meaning in tables. Someone once used a metaphor that a table in Access is like a "bag of marbles". The records are unrelated to each other.
You use queries to perform things like sorting, filtering, doing calculations, etc.

Upvote 0
You don't sort records in tables - you sort them in queries!
Order really has no meaning in tables. Someone once used a metaphor that a table in Access is like a "bag of marbles". The records are unrelated to each other.
You use queries to perform things like sorting, filtering, doing calculations, etc.
No I mean I made table xyz at time 2/3/2024 etc...

So I want to sort when the tables were created. When you open Access the tables are listed in alphabetical order. I want to change the order.

Upvote 0
try this tool (a date instead of Object Type). However, such a request makes me think you have a bunch of similar tables and you want to sort them by date, which smells like you have a db that is not properly normalized.
1708567898984.png

Upvote 0
As welshman suggested, I would lean towards renaming the tables with a prefix of their date in "yyyymmdd" format. Then they will be in order when sorted alphabetically.

However, Micron also makes a good point - if you have a bunch of tables that are all structured the same, but just with different dates, it sounds like you have a un-normalized database, which is going to make it a pain to work with. In a normalized database, you typically do not have multiple similar tables with the same structure. Your database structure should not change all that often, just the table in it, so you do not need to constantly create new queries and reports.

In a normalized structure, you would probably only have one table that stores all this data, and the data would have a field for the creation date, so you can easily differentiate all the data. So you would import all your daily data into this one table.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back