Need help reformatting imported fields

starl

Administrator
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Had a > 2million rows text file I brought into Access. Brought it in fine, except 2 things
1. I formatted certain columns for Long Integer. Some have 0s, some are blanks. It reported some of the blank cells as formatting errors: How can quickly put 0s in the blank fields? Or will it not matter when I query?
2. There are date columns formatted as dd-mmm-yy, for example 01-JUNE-74 and 23-JAN-02. These came in as text but I'd prefer if they were formatted as proper dates. How can I do this?

I'm an absolute amateur with Access, so hand holding is required. I do generate SQL queries in Excel to Access, so that I can do some. Matter of fact, I plan on querying for just the desired records and bringing them into Excel... perhaps that would be the easiest way to clean up? But if Access can do it, I'd like to learn.

thanks

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Update field with a Value of 0 where field is null. Or you can just use NZ() in queries.
Look at the field in table design, if date, then it is just formatting. If text, again use an Update query to convert a NEW field which is Date/Time to Date, and use that instead. Use CDate() for that.

Upvote 0
Solution
Be careful with the date conversion, depending how far back you dates go.
For both queries, create as a Select and view the result, before switching to Update query.

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back