SORT-UNIQUE-FILTER [Workaround for Merged Cells]

thewiseguy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,

I am utilizing the SORT-UNIQUE-FILTER command in order to combine 2 product lists into 1 Bill of Materials. The items within this combined list need to be shipped and tracked and there are times when 1 item is shipped in multiple shipments. This is causing me to need multiple lines for 1 product and hence, a merged cell. I am noticing however that I can not use the SORT-UNIQUE-FILTER command, when cells are merged. You can see this in my first cell which is blank. Is there a workaround without VBA?

v2023.4 - Copy.xlsm
ABCDEFGHIJKLM
1Mfg/ItemItemItem TypeManufacturerPart #Fix. QtyLamp QtyPO #Qty OrderedShipperTrackingETANotes
2#SPILL!11W LED PL Lamp [GX24q-MCCT]LampMAXLITE9PLG24QVCS 29
Shipping (BOM)
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A2A2=SORT(UNIQUE(FILTER(' Line Item (input)'!W3:W2002,(' Line Item (input)'!W3:W2002 <>"")*(' Line Item (input)'!W3:W2002<>0),FALSE)))
B2:G2B2='Product (BOM)'!B2

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Is there a workaround without VBA?
Yes, Don't used merged cells they are an abomination & should be avoided like the plague.
You can see this in my first cell which is blank
If you mean A it is not blank, it contains the #SPILL! error. The 3 cells below it are blank.
You simply cannot put spill formulae in merged cells.

Upvote 0
Yes, Don't used merged cells they are an abomination & should be avoided like the plague.
If you mean A it is not blank, it contains the #SPILL! error. The 3 cells below it are blank.
You simply cannot put spill formulae in merged cells.

ha! it's too late now; I've been my entire workbook around merged cells.

Thanks for the reply!

Upvote 0
In that case you are likely to have major problems. A lot of formulae do not like being in, or looking at merged cells. Also they can play havoc with VBA.

Upvote 0
Apart from difficulties with merged cells, it is a bad idea to have a worksheet name with a leading (or trailing) space like you have.

It is not clear to me exactly what you are trying to achieve. I'm wondering if it might be this?
If not can you give us a very small sample of column W in the other sheet and show us your expected result (manually entered)?

23 07 21.xlsm
A
2a b c e g
Shipping (BOM)
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A2A2=TEXTJOIN(CHAR(10),,SORT(UNIQUE(FILTER(' Line Item (input)'!W3:W2002,(' Line Item (input)'!W3:W2002 <>"")*(' Line Item (input)'!W3:W2002<>0),FALSE))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back