Sorting/ Separatin Anglo from Hispanic last names

LisetteCB

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Web
Hi, I would like to know how to in a list of names, separate / sort the Hispanic last names from the English ones. Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
1684179588064.png

If I have a list like this one, and I need to separate the Hispanic last names from the English ones, to create two separate lists of names. How could I efficiently do it? Thanks again

Upvote 0
I think before broaching your question of how do you "efficiently" do it, one should ask - how do you do it at all?
If you had to teach someone how to identify "Anglo" from "Hispanic" last names, and to separate them out, what would you tell them?

Upvote 0
Hi, common Hispanic last names are different from common English last names, if you are familiar with at least one of the languages, you can easily identify them.
I understand that the separation won't be 100% accurate, because some of them might be similar or overlap, but at least somehow extract the most common Hispanic/ English last names from a list...

And by the way, the other similar thread, it's my coworker, we are trying to figure this out, and came to the same place with the question. Not intentionally by the way, we really didn't want to ask the same thing twice.

Upvote 0
Hi, common Hispanic last names are different from common English last names, if you are familiar with at least one of the languages, you can easily identify them.
As it happens, I am familiar with at least one of them. Neither Excel nor VBA, however, is human, and so neither are familiar with either of them.
So my question above still stands - how do you explain how to differentiate between them? Because it's that explanation you will need in order to instruct Excel/VBA.

Upvote 0
The question is "how" can you identify them? The answer cannot simply be "just by looking at them".

In any programming language, you must come up with concrete rules that you can list that you can program too.
If you can plainly list out the rules to follow, someone may be able to write something for you that would follow those rules.
But it is not magic. Excel (or most any program) cannot do that which you cannot explain in plain terms.

Upvote 0
(As more eloquently explained above...)

Upvote 0
You are absolutely right, I'm sorry if I presented the question this way. Let me reword it.

I have two lists, one with 200 names and another one with 600 names.

What I need to do is: compare both lists and create two new separate ones:
  • List 1: Will include all the common names (between the two lists I already have)
  • List 2: Will include the remaining names.

Does it make sense like this?

Upvote 0
There are various ways you can match between two lists in Excel, i.e.
- You can match on the key values in each list using a VLOOKUP, XLOOKUP, or INDEX/MATCH formula
- You can use a COUNTIF formula to count how many times a value appears in the other list (if 0 then there is no match, anything else means there is a match)

Quite frankly, I think an even easier way is to use Microsoft Access, of you have it. They have a built in Unmatched Query tool in their Query Wizard that is easy to use.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnnyCav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back