Specific and maybe advanced search

Shakeable_Drip

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm familiar with Vlookup and prefer index/match and sometimes find/is number/search.
Not sure this is possible but my data is a single column 2K+lines and I'd like to search "targeted" portions of it.

"Why?" the data and variables are repeated, so index and match will hit the top most result in the column. not great if I want anything below that
The data is inconsistent so I am unable to use something like "index-match"XXX"plus 5 rows below.
What I'd like to do is target a search range and search for the value between that.

Something like Index and match "XXX" (top end of range, this is a unique value)
Index and match "ZZZ" (criteria is "ZZZ" MUST be below "XXX"---"ZZZ" is a NOT unique value)<-- I think this can be don't but I don't know what "relative" searching might be called to google it
Index and match "YYY" (range="XXX" to "ZZZ"---"YYY" is the thing I need)

Vocabulary to google and tutorial pages are welcome, in the below I need to find the number beside "eggs"

index = 1
thing 86
stuff 72
bread 0
brickbrack 96
end
index = 2
eggs 12
thing 5
stuff 10
brickbrack 9
end
index = 3
thing 15
stuff 27
brickbrack 55
end

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Share the actual sample data. Working with hypothetical data is always a challenge.
Moreover, how you want to use the extracted data will be useful to understand.

Upvote 0
Ok can do. I cant use XL2BB, I double check the "before you post" thread on how to upload and update my OP soon. thanks!

Upvote 0
Share the actual sample data. Working with hypothetical data is always a challenge.
Moreover, how you want to use the extracted data will be useful to understand.
should I upload the whole 2K lines data or truncate it to a smaller sample size?

Upvote 0
should I upload the whole 2K lines data or truncate it to a smaller sample size?
Just 10-15 lines the way you posted in OP shall be helpful to understand the actual data and what exactly you want to extract. Choose the best possible sample to understand the scenario

Upvote 0
Whelp, I didn't see an edit post button but see below:
It's a truncated sample and although this sample doesnt show it, the rows can be out of order so absolutes like "XXX" plus 5 rows won't work. (that's what I had before it broke)
Again I'm hoping to set up a specific search range: search for TIME between <NestedPart index="2"> AND </NestedPart>
<NestedTube index="11">
<TubeIndex> 2 </TubeIndex>
<TotLength> 6096.000000 </TotLength>
<Time> 383292 </Time>
<NestedParts count="13">
<NestedPart index="1">
<PartIndex> 23 </PartIndex>
<Length> 546.100000 </Length>
<Time> 28917 </Time>
</NestedPart>
<NestedPart index="2">
<PartIndex> 7 </PartIndex>
<Length> 546.100000 </Length>
<Time> 29569 </Time>
</NestedPart>

Upvote 0
if it helps to know it, this is one of the formulas I use. Specifically this one returns the number of different tube types.
Excel Formula:
=--SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(FILTER(\03_COLUMN_ARRAY,ISNUMBER(SEARCH("   <Tubes count=",\03_COLUMN_ARRAY))),"<Tubes count="&CHAR(34),""),CHAR(34)&">","")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back