Speed important: Is relying on a single INDEX lookup from a huge table faster than 'building' the desired output? (image example within)

d0rian

Office Version
  1. 365
(FYI: my example table of data is just for illustrative purposes...the actual data table is between 4,000 - 6,000 rows of data, and my list of on-sale items is about 400, not just the 4 you see in the image, so it might seem like a trivial speed difference here, but could very well be significant at scale. My current problem is that my excel workbook is pulling in tick-by-tick stock updates and is very unstable, crashing frequently, so I'm looking to create the lowest-resource formulas possible...)

I need to build the [fruit]_[color]_[cost]_[qty] text string as shown in the image below for a small subset of items from a massive list. I'm currently using the method on the LEFT whereby I just paste the huge data table (which already includes a column containing the desired text string that I've created in a different workbook and pasted as hardcoded values here), and then run an INDEX lookup for the 4 on-sale items. But I want to know if there'd be a material difference in speed/performance if I used the method on the RIGHT, whereby I hard-code the Fruit/Color/Cost/Qty, and then BUILD the desired text-string output by simply concatenating the items with an _underscore_ in between them.

My current method (LEFT side) relies simply on an INDEX lookup of hardcoded values...but as explained above, the data_table I'm working with has 5,000+ rows, and there's ~200 'on-sale' items, not 4...I just don't know "how long" it takes Excel to search through a huge data table with its INDEX function, or whether simply 'building' my desired text-strings from hard-coded color/cost/qty values will be faster / less resource-intensive.

choPq7k.jpg

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
I would think the one on the left is more efficient

Method on the right requires 3 index/match functions, 1 to pull Color, 1 for cost, 1 for quantity
Then those are concatenated together

Method on the left does the concatenation on the lookup table, and only 1 index/match function is required to pull the result.

Concatenate functions are far more efficient than index/match.
It's not a performance hit to have that concatenation on the lookup table.
But 3 index/match vs 1 index/match is a performance hit.

Upvote 0
I would think the one on the left is more efficient

Method on the right requires 3 index/match functions, 1 to pull Color, 1 for cost, 1 for quantity
Then those are concatenated together

Method on the left does the concatenation on the lookup table, and only 1 index/match function is required to pull the result.

Concatenate functions are far more efficient than index/match.
It's not a performance hit to have that concatenation on the lookup table.
But 3 index/match vs 1 index/match is a performance hit.

Thanks for reply -- reading my OP, I realize that I wasn't as clear as I thought about something: in the RIGHT-side image, that 4x3 shaded grid is actually NOT pulling the Color/Cost/Qty values using an INDEX lookup. (That's what I tried to explain in the "have a macro..." cell in the upper-right of the image.) I'm actually hard-coding those Color/Cost/Qty values by running a macro that pulls them from the huge data table. Otherwise, you'd be completely correct in that 3 INDEX/MATCH functions + 1 Concatenating function would clearly be slower than a single INDEX/MATCH function. But There's actually *no* INDEX/MATCH'ing going on on the right-hand side at all. There's ONLY the 1 Concatenating function of values that are hardcoded. So that's really the speed-comparison at issue...do I want to run 400 INDEX/MATCH formulas (the LEFT side method) that each have to search a 5,000+ row table? Or would it be faster to instead "build" those 400 text strings with CONCATENATE formulas (using no INDEX/MATCH'ing or searching of the huge data table...?)

Hope that was clearer!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jpull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back