Speed up index match vba in long worksheet

denmccue

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
This macro works. Thank you for your previous help
My worksheet starts out with 1000+ rows at start of month, and the For/Next loop takes a while to run through the sheet. Is there a way to speed it up?

Sub SiteNum()

Dim LastRow As Long
Dim x As Long
Dim y As Long

LastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, 3).End(xlUp).Row

For y = 2 To LastRow

Range("H" & y) = "=Index(" & Range("$P$2:$P$284").Address(False, False) & " , Match(" & Range("E" & y).Address(True, False) & " ," & Range("$O$2:$O$284").Address(True, True) & ", 0))"

Next y
End Sub

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
No need to use a loop, you can do that like
VBA Code:
Sub SiteNum()

Dim LastRow As Long

Range("I2:I" & LastRow).Formula = "=Index(P$2:P$284, Match(E2,$O$2:$O$284,0))"
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
VBA Code:
Code:
Sub SiteNum()

Dim LastRow As Long

End Sub
Thank you Fluff, it works like a champ!

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
No need to use a loop, you can do that like
VBA Code:
Sub SiteNum()

Dim LastRow As Long

End Sub
I am attempting something similar , but not sure how to get this code to work for me , i have a personnel database that is used as an index to match personnel company name based on the persons name , the destination sheet is Daily POB and the index sheet is Personnel Info , this is the formula i have in the actual individual cells =IFERROR(INDEX('Personnel Info'!$C$3:$C$100,MATCH(C3,'Personnel Info'!$A$3:$A$100,0)),"") where C3 in the match portion will go up to C52 , the C3:C100 in the index is going to be much larger than 100 but for now i have set to 100 in an attempt to speed up the file opening as it has become a bit slow to open which is why i am attempting to code this in VBA to initiate when the lookup value is changed .

Would this VBA code be what im looking for?

Upvote 0
The really fast way to do index match in VBA is not to use the excel functions but to use the VBA dictionary object. try this code onm a copy of you workbook ( untested) It should writethe results in column D
VBA Code:
Sub test()
' this shows hte use of a dictionary to copy a value to a mathcing worksheet
   Dim Ary As Variant
   Dim i As Long
   Dim Dic As Object
   Dim Cl As Range

Set Dic = CreateObject("Scripting.dictionary")
   With Worksheets("Personnel Info")
    lastrow = .Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    Ary = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(lastrow, 3)) ' load all of the data from the Personnel sheet in a variatn array
   End With
   For i = 1 To UBound(Ary, 1)
      Dic(Ary(i, 1)) = Ary(i, 3)  ' load all the data into the dictionary. with value the company name
   Next i
   With Worksheets("Daily POB")
      For Each Cl In .Range("C3:C52")
         Cl.Offset(, 1).Value = Dic(Cl.Value) 'this matches the value given by tyhe index C1.value in the dictionary
      Next Cl
   End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
The really fast way to do index match in VBA is not to use the excel functions but to use the VBA dictionary object. try this code onm a copy of you workbook ( untested) It should writethe results in column D
VBA Code:
Sub test()
' this shows hte use of a dictionary to copy a value to a mathcing worksheet
   Dim Ary As Variant
   Dim i As Long
   Dim Dic As Object
   Dim Cl As Range

Set Dic = CreateObject("Scripting.dictionary")
   With Worksheets("Personnel Info")
    lastrow = .Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    Ary = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(lastrow, 3)) ' load all of the data from the Personnel sheet in a variatn array
   End With
   For i = 1 To UBound(Ary, 1)
      Dic(Ary(i, 1)) = Ary(i, 3)  ' load all the data into the dictionary. with value the company name
   Next i
   With Worksheets("Daily POB")
      For Each Cl In .Range("C3:C52")
         Cl.Offset(, 1).Value = Dic(Cl.Value) 'this matches the value given by tyhe index C1.value in the dictionary
      Next Cl
   End With
End Sub
This worked Beautifully , and i was able to successfully apply to a different range of cells !! Now i have to figure out how to make it run only when the lookup value is changed rather than having to manually run it.

Upvote 0
that is very simple just put this code in the Daily POB worksheet code. ( Right click on the tab and select viewcode):

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
 If Not Intersect(Range("C3:C52"), Target) Is Nothing Then
  Call test
 End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
excellent this works well too , if you dont mind one last thing , how would i add in addition to pull data from the personnel sheet from column g3 and h3 and up to daily pob sheet columns J3 and k3

Upvote 0
excellent this works well too , if you dont mind one last thing , how would i add in addition to pull data from the personnel sheet from column g3 and h3 and up to daily pob sheet columns J3 and k3
Nevermind i figured it out , now i have noticed it has sped up the file when opening , but the macro takes a couple of seconds to run and this will be a problem , what if there were a way to make the macro work like index/match formula rather than updating the entire range when a target cell is changed but only update the info for the individual target cell .... if that makes any sense??

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smckenzie2016

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back