Speed up VBA Code - Use an array instead maybe?

CC268

I posted a code on here previously that is somewhat similar to the code below...a fellow on here turned it into an array and literally transformed the code in terms of speed...it went from 12 minutes to 20 seconds. This code here takes about 4 minutes to run as it goes through about 5600 lines of data. Is there a way to speed this up (maybe by using an array instead)?

By the way - OptimizeCode_Begin and End call outs are the typical Application.ScreenUpdating, Application.EnableEvents, etc.

Thanks!

Code:
Sub Merge_Data()
'Call OptimizeCode_Begin

Dim cell1 As Range, rng1 As Range, cell2 As Range, rng2 As Range

Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A1:BB1").Copy Destination:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("L1") 'copy column headers from Sheet 2 to Sheet 1
Set rng1 = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("E2:E" & Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(Sheets("Sheet1").Rows.Count, "E").End(xlUp).Row) 'defining variable rng1 -->Sheet1, column E starting at E2 and going to last value in column E
Set rng2 = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("E2:E" & Sheets("Sheet2").Cells(Sheets("Sheet2").Rows.Count, "E").End(xlUp).Row) 'defining variable rng2 -->Sheet2, column E starting at E2 and going to last value in column E

For Each cell2 In rng2 'for each cell in range 2 defined above (column E in Sheet 2)...
    For Each cell1 In rng1 'for each cell in range 1 defined above (column E in Sheet 1)...
        If cell2.Value = cell1.Value And cell2.Offset(0, -3) = cell1.Offset(0, -3).Value Then 'if the value of cell2 equals the value of cell1 AND the value of cell2 (offset by 3 columns) equals the value of cell1 (offset by 3 columns) then...
            Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A" & cell2.Row & ":BB" & cell2.Row).Copy Destination:=Sheets("Sheet1").Range("L" & cell1.Row & ":BM" & cell1.Row) 'copy corresponding columns A:BB from current row in Sheet 2 and copy into Sheet 1 corresponding columns L:BM into current row
        Exit For
        End If
    Next
Next

'Call OptimizeCode_End
End Sub

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Is there a way to speed this up (maybe by using an array instead)?

Yes, using VBA arrays would speed things up.

Another way would be to use Excel's MATCH function, rather than looping, along these lines:

Code:
Sub Merge_Data()

Dim r1 As Long, r2 As Long

r1 = 2
    r2 = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

With Sheets("Sheet1").Range("L" & r1 & ":BM" & Sheets("Sheet1").Range("E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)
        .Formula = "=INDEX(Sheet2!A$" & r1 & ":A$" & r2 & ",MATCH(1,INDEX((Sheet2!$E$" & r1 & ":$E$" & r2 _
            & "=$E" & r1 & ")*(Sheet2!$B$" & r1 & ":$B$" & r2 & "=$B" & r1 & "),,1),))"
        .Value = .Value
    End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Yes, using VBA arrays would speed things up.

Another way would be to use Excel's MATCH function, rather than looping, along these lines:

Code:
Sub Merge_Data()

Dim r1 As Long, r2 As Long

r1 = 2
    r2 = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

With Sheets("Sheet1").Range("L" & r1 & ":BM" & Sheets("Sheet1").Range("E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)
        .Formula = "=INDEX(Sheet2!A$" & r1 & ":A$" & r2 & ",MATCH(1,INDEX((Sheet2!$E$" & r1 & ":$E$" & r2 _
            & "=$E" & r1 & ")*(Sheet2!$B$" & r1 & ":$B$" & r2 & "=$B" & r1 & "),,1),))"
        .Value = .Value
    End With
End Sub

Thanks for the response I appreciate it - this did work, but unfortunately it wasn't really any quicker.

Upvote 0
Suppressing screen updates can help with speed (and prevent screen flickering).
Place:
Code:
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
at the beginning of your code and then place
Code:
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
at the end of it.

Upvote 0
Yea I already have that done - as I stated in my original post OptimizeCode_Begin and End call outs are the typical Application.ScreenUpdating, Application.EnableEvents, etc.

It isn't a huge deal if I can't find a faster solution - the code works great, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try to get this to run quicker.

Upvote 0
Yea I already have that done - as I stated in my original post OptimizeCode_Begin and End call outs are the typical Application.ScreenUpdating, Application.EnableEvents, etc.
But in the code you posted, it looks like you have commented those lines out, so they wouldn't be running.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But in the code you posted, it looks like you have commented those lines out, so they wouldn't be running.

When I run this specific code by itself I uncomment them - reason they are commented now is I have another macro that calls all these individual modules - at the beginning of that I have OptimizeCode_Begin and End so that it runs throughout the entire process.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response I appreciate it - this did work, but unfortunately it wasn't really any quicker.

It surprises me that you didn't get any material speed improvement.

The solution given to your cross-post still copies and pastes line by line. I'd expect working wholly in VBA and writing once to Excel to be faster, perhaps along these lines:

Code:
Sub Merge_Data()

Dim v1 As Variant, v2 As Variant, vOut As Variant
    Dim lFirstRow As Long, lLastRow1 As Long, lLastRow2 As Long
    Dim lCols As Long, i As Long, j As Long, k As Long

lFirstRow = 2
    lLastRow1 = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    lLastRow2 = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    v1 = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & lFirstRow & ":E" & lLastRow1).Value
    v2 = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A" & lFirstRow & ":BB" & lLastRow2).Value
    lCols = UBound(v2, 2)
    ReDim vOut(1 To UBound(v1), 1 To lCols)

For i = 1 To lLastRow1 - lFirstRow + 1
        For j = 1 To lLastRow2 - lFirstRow + 1
            If v1(i, 2) = v2(j, 2) And v1(i, 4) = v2(j, 4) Then
                For k = 1 To lCols
                    vOut(i, k) = v2(j, k)
                Next k
                Exit For
            End If
        Next j
    Next i

Sheets("Sheet1").Range("L" & lFirstRow).Resize(UBound(v1), lCols).Value = vOut

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eva146

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back