sports betting hedging formula (beat the sports book)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExxcelNoob

Board Regular
Hello everyone, I haven't post in MrExcel for a very long time and today I ran into a problem. I wanted to beat the sports book by hedging out my wager and maximize my profit regardless of the outcome of a game. Below are an example I ran into lately and I can't find a solution, please help me find the correct hedging number to beat the sports book.

Pregame Odd
Denver Nuggets Moneyline = 3.20
Los Angeles Lakers Moneyline = 1.42

I wager $1000 on Denver Nuggets pregame at odd 3.20 and I risk $1000 to win $2200. Later in the third quarter my sports book had a live wagering moneyline for the Lakers at 2.10 odd. I live hedge my bet at the moneyline 2.10 and risk $1000 to win $1100. However, my sports book only had $1000 max bet per time and after that the sports book immediately change the moneyline odd to 2.06 . How can I balance my net profit no matter the outcome of the game? This mean I have to live hedge two times because the moneyline odd changed every 5-10 seconds and the bet limit is only $1000 per time.

Below are the example I input into a spreadsheet and I want to solve for X (Live hedge bet #2) and if I can solve for X I can beat the sports book. What formula can I use to solve for X in cell B2?

ABCDE
1Live hedge bet # 2 (Lakers 2.06)Live hedge bet #1 + #2 (Lakers 2.10)Original Bet (Nuggets 3.20)Net Profit
2Stake533.981533.981000666.02
3Win566.021666.022200666.02

ABCDE
1Live hedge bet #2 (Lakers 2.06)Live hedge bet #1 + #2 (Lakers 2.10)Original Bet (Nuggets 3.20)Net Profit
2StakeX=1000+B21000=C3-D2
3Win=X*1.06=1100+B32200=D3-C2

For those that doesn't understand what is hedging in sports betting, please read an example below.

Source:

Hedging Formulas for sport betting

Prevent A Loss By Hedging

To win back your stake in a loss, divide your original stake by the price of the other side of the hedge and bet that amount.

Example:

You bet 100 on a futures bet with a price of 10.00, now you want to hedge out with the other side at a price of 1.60.

100/1.60 = 62.5

You should bet 62.5 on the other side. If your bet loses, you still win back your original stake, making the wager risk free.

Win The Maximum Amount By Hedging

To ensure you win the maximum amount on your hedge every time, use the following formula:

x = (p+b)/r

x = amount you should bet on hedge
p = the profit you stand to make on the first bet
b = the first wager you made
r = (decimal) price of the second wager

To calculate how much you stand to win, subtract the amount you placed on the hedge from the profit you stand to make on the first bet:

p – x = guaranteed return

Example:

You bet 100 on a futures bet with 10.00 odds, now you want to hedge out with the other side at 1.50 odds.

p = 900
b = 100
r = 1.5

x = (900+100)/(1.5)
x = 666.67

With this hedge you stand to make 900-666.67 = 233.33. That means you get 233.33 pure profit no matter what the outcome is!

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
There's a workbook with several examples of lay and dutch betting at Box

Upvote 0
thank you shg, I looked through the spreadsheet and I can't find a solution to solve for X .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back