SQL: Nulls into DateValue function getting 3464 Data type Mismatch

donwiss

Board Regular
Platform
  1. Windows
The expression in the falsepart of the iif is still being evaluated, and I believe is causing the error. How do I write this to get around the Null issue?

SQL:
SELECT FldrName,[Name],MatDate FROM Securities WHERE iif(IsNull(MatDate),True,DateValue(MatDate) < #10/19/2020#);

MatDate is a Text data type.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
the falsepart of the iif is still being evaluated
Both the true and false parts of IIF are evaluated - that's the way it works.
All it takes is for one record to have Null in the field being used in a function such as DateValue and you can get that or some other error such as" Subscript Out Of Range". You probably need to convert Null to some lesser date, such as

DateValue(NZ(MatDate,"01/01/00"))

Upvote 0
Solution
@Micron.
Thanks for the response, but I find Nz (NullToZero) is an Access function, not a SQL function. I wish it were, it is a very elegant solution. I did find that IsNull() in other SQLs works like Nz.

@ian_add.
I'm not sure what you are proposing. Both sides of Iif have to evaluate.

Upvote 0
Question title:
SQL: Nulls into DateValue function getting 3464 Data type Mismatch

Previous response:
Thanks for the response, but I find Nz (NullToZero) is an Access function, not a SQL function

Current response:
Except I find that COALESCE is not in Access SQL.

You seem to be flip-flopping back and forth here. Are you looking for a SQL solution or an Access one?

Upvote 0
I'm looking for a SQL solution that works in Access. I'm using DAO to call from Excel VBA.

Upvote 0
I'm looking for a SQL solution that works in Access. I'm using DAO to call from Excel VBA.
That is a critical detail you want to be sure to mention at the beginning, so we can understand exactly what it is you are after.
I have never tried to do anything like that (involving Excel VBA, DAO, and Access all in the same solution).
I find I have the most success limiting the number of different programming languages to incorporate in a single solution.

There may be other ways around doing what you are trying to avoid these issues, but without having a full understanding of exactly what you are trying to accomplish (and why you are trying to do it this particular way), it is hard to say.

Upvote 0
Confused :unsure:
SQL simply means Structured Query Language and you posted in an Access forum and Access has a version of SQL and you are trying to use Access sql in Access. I have to believe you didn't try what I posted because it works in Access. So is the sql you wrote in post one being used in Access or not?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texmansru47

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back