Stock Data

mrashyman

I'm looking to build a spreadsheet containing a lot of historical stock data. And I mean A LOT. Specifically, I'm hoping to get each ticker in its own sheet, then have each row correspond to one day in that stock's history. For each day, ideally, I'd like to have some data, possibly an opening price, closing price, high, low, and volume. I'm also looking for more advanced stuff, like earnings per share, spending on R/D, if possible. Basically, more data is better, and I'm looking to gather data on at least 1,000 different stocks. How would I go about doing this?

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
I don't think you'd want to put your data in separate sheets, because then you can't do comparative analysis. It's better to keep it in a transactional format with one listing per ticker per day. Then you can use PivotTables to analyze it.

Take a look at Chris Newman's Pull stock information into Excel blog post for some pointers about how to use the WEBSERVICE function. There's also this one on using Power Query to do it.

But before you try to recreate the wheel, I'd also note that there are multiple existing platforms to do this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tayo4dgacorbanget

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back