STOCKHISTORY Issue

MrAnalyst22

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Anyone really familiar with =STOCKHISTORY? Trying to pull data for SMB (VanEck Vectors Short Muni ETF) and for some reason I am getting results in euros, prices don't match a separate market tool I'm using to look at historical prices. I'm just trying to pull ~400 days of trading data, and it's been around for quite some time, so I don't believe it's an issue with data availability.

Formula: =STOCKHISTORY("SMB",DATE(2020,11,18),DATE(2022,6,25))

Anyone able to replicate my result and provide some information on what's going on? I can only assume it's pulling a european stock with the symbol SMB, but I'm unsure of how to fix it. Seems to have worked just fine for everything else I've used.

Thanks in advance!!

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
I am familiar --- painfully familiar --- with STOCKHISTORY. I can attest that trying to find the correct stock symbol is as frustrating as grad night.

I tried putting 'VanEck Vectors Short Muni ETF' into a cell and then Data | Data Types | Stocks. That made the little dialogue window pop up, where I altered everything conceivable and I couldn't get any result at all.

So I went to Vanek's website where I found the instrument to see if it could tell me anything useful, like where it trades, and got nuttin useful. So I trolled all over the internets and found that it trades on the NYSE, whose prefix for the exchange in Refinitiv's database is XNYS. Back in Excel I tried XNYS:SMB and that failed too! I also tried XNAS:SMB, thinking it might be on the NASDAQ - no dice.

Then I went to yahoo where I see they think it's an exchange called BATS, which is what Refinitiv calls the CBOE BZX Exchange. Bingo! try this BATS:SMB

What a colossal PITA!

Upvote 0
Solution
I am familiar --- painfully familiar --- with STOCKHISTORY. I can attest that trying to find the correct stock symbol is as frustrating as grad night.

I tried putting 'VanEck Vectors Short Muni ETF' into a cell and then Data | Data Types | Stocks. That made the little dialogue window pop up, where I altered everything conceivable and I couldn't get any result at all.

So I went to Vanek's website where I found the instrument to see if it could tell me anything useful, like where it trades, and got nuttin useful. So I trolled all over the internets and found that it trades on the NYSE, whose prefix for the exchange in Refinitiv's database is XNYS. Back in Excel I tried XNYS:SMB and that failed too! I also tried XNAS:SMB, thinking it might be on the NASDAQ - no dice.

Then I went to yahoo where I see they think it's an exchange called BATS, which is what Refinitiv calls the CBOE BZX Exchange. Bingo! try this BATS:SMB

What a colossal PITA!
You are a legend, thank you!! Would be nice if Microsoft published some kind of legend showing all available inputs.

Upvote 0
You're welcome.

Equities are usually easy to find. What drives everyone crazy are indexes, mutual finds and commodities. I tried to help everyone out with this article, hoping that MS would pick up on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back