Struggling on Userform that has four functions, searching, editing, adding, and deleting.

juscuz419

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I must have walked through 20 examples on creating userforms and the code behind them. I cant get mine to do anything (or anything correctly when DO get something to happen). I have a workbook with a single WS. It is 47 columns wide and over 600 rows of data records. I am trying to create a userform that has 4 "buttons" that 1. searches by a user selectable field on the userform, 2. allows the user to update any field on what is returned and saves the record, 3. allows the user to enter a totally new record, or 4. allows the user to delete a record. I have this beautiful form that I cant get to do anything.

1705889350432.png

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Hi,
On the upside, Userforms are fairly straightforward to create with required controls etc & even a novice can build a very impressive looking userform.

The downside with userforms is that you have to code almost every aspect of them to make it perform in required manner for your project & it is this part as you have found, that many including experienced programmers, can have some difficulty with.

If you are building a database, I personally would suggest that before you get too far using excel that you investigate using a more appropriate application like Access – Most database applications can be developed with little or no programming required.

See here for more guidance: What is Microsoft Access? An Introductory Guide

If though, you still want to pursue developing your project in Excel then I suggest that you create a copy of your workbook containing only DUMMY data & place it on a file sharing site like dropbox - this will assist those here that can offer you help.

Hope Helpful

Dave

Upvote 0
Great advice and I am currently trying to learn Power Query, Userform, and some VBA. Im just an old guy trying to help a bunch of other old guys go and help people after a weather event. I halfway know Excel from when I used it a decade ago at work. Is there a way that I can put the workbook file in the cloud and SHARE it with someone?

Upvote 0
Hi,
I am not a young man myself!

- Excel can, in a clunky sort of way, do what you are trying to do but it is a lot of hard work & will will only perform in a very limited way.

Is there a way that I can put the workbook file in the cloud and SHARE it with someone?

To share your file with this site, have a look here: Share Files & Folders In OneDrive

Dave

Upvote 0
Can do the share from one cloud thing pretty easily. I guess someone has to ask for the file to be shared before I can enter an address and permissions, correct?

Upvote 0
Follow instructions in the link but you need to ensure that you allow editing & post the link to the file here.

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi

Having downloaded your file, you are where I suspected you would be – you have designed a userform but have almost no coding for it, I am not really sure what you are expecting by way of help to develop it?

As I stated in my first post, userforms whilst easy to design, require you to program almost every aspect of them which for a complex project, can be very extensive.

Also, whilst you can create a simple flat file (single table) database in Excel, it is not really what Excel is designed for & there are more appropriate applications available that do not require extensive coding like Access (MrExcel has a help Forum)

or something like this maybe: Power Apps

that I suggest to spend your time investigating

If really want to continue with excel & learn about userforms here is a good place to start: Introduction to UserForms

My apologies if I may have raised your hopes but whilst I am more than happy to assist with offering guidance to amend existing code, I personally do not have time to give with the development of a project from the very start & probably not what this forum is really meant for.

Maybe another here will be happy take up the challenge.

Dave

BTW I never share any personal information on a public platform.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back