Stuck using Index match with VBA...

cillyRabbit

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello everyone,
Programming was a trait I stopped polishing 10+ years ago. VBA is entirely new to me.
We needed to put together a CMMS system and I couldn't find one out there that I really liked so I set out to build my own. I do enjoy the struggles but I have reached the point where I need some help.
CMMS is just tracking maintenance. So I have a table that has the following columns (MaintenanceID, Date, AssetID, AssetName, AssetHours (Heavy equipment), Maintenance Type, etc.)
I am able to use Application.WorksheetFunction.MaxIfs to determine the date that the last maintenance that was done for an asset.
I am able to generate the assetID.
However with the assetID and the last date of service held in separate variables, I can not for the life of me figure out how to pull the "AssetHours" from the last service.
I have tried Index..Match but I am at a loss and keep running in syntax circles.
Would anyone be interested in looking at the project?
Thank you,
-Kevin

What I have so far is pretty neat, at a glance our mechanic will be able to see in a color coded fashion what assets need service, and how much life (as a percentage) is left before they need service.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
You can either post a sample of data using Xl2BB ( see my tag) along with the codes you are using
OR
You could upload to a hosting site, Dropbox for instance, and then post the link to that file back here. I'm sure someone will be happy to take a look at it.

Upvote 0
I would love to collaborate with someone and share the project.
Maybe before I ask too much of someone I will post the line I am having the most difficulty with.
Please see the following. I am looking to retrieve the hour meter reading (Column 2) for that row which matches a defined "assetID"(ColumnG) and "PM_date" (ColumnF)

VBA Code:
PM_units = WorksheetFunction.Index(Sheets("Maintenance-Records").Range("E13:N100"), WorksheetFunction.Match(1, (assetID = Sheets("Maintenance-Records").Range("G13:G10000")) * (PM_date = Sheets("Maintenance-Records").Range("F13:F10000")), 0),2)

Upvote 0
For starters if the index / Match is on the active sheet, you won't need a sheet reference in the formula
VBA Code:
PM_units = WorksheetFunction.Index(Range("E13:N100"), Match(1, (assetID = Range("G13:G10000")) * (PM_date =Range("F13:F10000")), 0),2)
Bit hard to delve further into the formula without seeing the table and required result.
I believe this part of the formula needs to be a cell reference....
VBA Code:
Match(1

Upvote 0
Please see the file below via dropbox.
There are 4 worksheets within the workbook.
"Maintenance Records": Contains a line for each maintenance record.
"Quick Overview": Is the main interaction screen and is the one that I am struggling to make perform.
"Lists": Is a list of all the assets/equipment and additional information on each piece
"Variables": Is used gently as I was learning VBA.
The macro that contains the problem is [updateReviewPage] and is activated by clicking the [Refresh Health] button.

Problem: Within [updateReviewPage] macro I am struggling to pull the correct "Asset Hours" from the most recent "Maintenance Records" in which the correct tier of Maintenance was performed and assign it to the PM_units variable.
-There are 3 levels of maintenance that can be performed (1,2,3) and this is seen on the "Lists" worksheet.
-there is a loop that loops through 3 times and updates the color/value of each cell on the "Quick Overview" page.
-Then if the asset is due for maintenance based on hours or time since last service (days/months) it changes color and displays the "Health" of the equipment as a percentage.

Upvote 0
Downloaded the file, but I get a "The file is corrupted and can't be opened" error
Is there something in the file that is not compatible with version 2016
Also, have you tried using the INDEX / MATCH function on the worksheet to see if it works, BEFORE putting it into a VBA format ??

Upvote 0
I am running a 32 bit version of 2019 excel. I did find today it is necessary for it to be a 32 bit version to allow the calendar selector in a couple of the forms that are used.
I will try to INDEX/MATCH function in the worksheet first and get back to you.
Thank you,
-Kevin

Upvote 0
I was able to put a little effort into this this evening.
I am able to make it work directly in the worksheet using the following:
{=INDEX('Maintenance-Records'!E13:E10000,MATCH(1,(V3='Maintenance-Records'!G13:G10000)*(V4='Maintenance-Records'!F13:F10000),0))}

The closest I can get in the macro is the following:
PM_units = WorksheetFunction.Index(Sheets("Maintenance-Records").Range("E13:E10000"), WorksheetFunction.Match(1, ("0002" = Sheets("Maintenance-Records").Range("G13:G10000") * ("01/01/2021" = Sheets("Maintenance-Records").Range("F13:F10000"))), 0))

However now when I try to run the macro I receive the following "Run-time error '13': Type mismatch.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0
I was able to put a little effort into this this evening.
I am able to make it work directly in the worksheet using the following:
{=INDEX('Maintenance-Records'!E13:E10000,MATCH(1,(V3='Maintenance-Records'!G13:G10000)*(V4='Maintenance-Records'!F13:F10000),0))}

The closest I can get in the macro is the following:
PM_units = WorksheetFunction.Index(Sheets("Maintenance-Records").Range("E13:E10000"), WorksheetFunction.Match(1, ("0002" = Sheets("Maintenance-Records").Range("G13:G10000") * ("01/01/2021" = Sheets("Maintenance-Records").Range("F13:F10000"))), 0))

However now when I try to run the macro I receive the following "Run-time error '13': Type mismatch.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance.
In the worksheet example V3=0002 and V4=01/01/2021

Upvote 0
Don't have Excel ATM, try
VBA Code:
PM_units = Application.WorksheetFunction.Index(Sheets("Maintenance-Records").Range("E13:E10000"), Match(V3 = Sheets("Maintenance-Records").Range("G13:G10000") * (V4 = Sheets("Maintenance-Records").Range("F13:F10000"))), 0)
You could also assign the formula to a cell, ie
VBA Code:
[A1].formula = "{=INDEX('Maintenance-Records'!E13:E10000,MATCH(1,(V3='Maintenance-Records'!G13:G10000)*(V4='Maintenance-Records'!F13:F10000),0))}"
followed by
VBA Code:
PM_Units=[A1].value

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back