Subject returning blank when referencing cell in macro

anoctuawes

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I've been googling for hours on end and can't see to find a solution that works.

I have a macro that saves and send an email and I want the subject line to include data from one of the worksheets within the book.

This is what I have currently, but when executed the area no data is returned:

With OutMail
.To = "email.com"
.CC = ""
.BCC = ""
.Subject = "Spreadsheet for " & Worksheet("Risk Assessment (S1)").Range("C8:I8").Value

"Spreadsheet for " is the text
Risk Assessment (S1) is the name of the tab the cell is contained within
The cell contains text - I have also tried ".text" but this returns blank too.

I thought perhaps I should be calling it "Sheet1" instead of the name of the tab, but Sheet1 does not work
I read different suggestions of "Worksheet" vs "Worksheets" and tried both, but neither worked.
I tried referencing just the first cell (it is a merged cell), so that being C8, and this did not work

I am not getting any errors, the subject simply keeps displaying as, "Spreadsheet for "

What am I doing wrong?

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
That can't be the actual code since it would error - it should be Worksheets not Worksheet. Also you should only specify one cell.

Upvote 0
If you want to use the whole range to be used as subject, you need a join like:

VBA Code:
.Subject = "Spreadsheet for " & Join(Application.Transpose(Application.Transpose(Sheets("Risk Assessment (S1)").Range("C8:I8").Value)))

Upvote 0
That can't be the actual code since it would error - it should be Worksheets not Worksheet. Also you should only specify one cell.
I tried both to no avail (weirdly don’t recall it erroring though?).

If the cell is merged how can I reference it then? Reference the first one C8? (Which I think I tried but will try again)

Upvote 0
That could work, but you shouldn't use merged cells when using VBA. Merged cells will throw errors.

Upvote 0
If you want to use the whole range to be used as subject, you need a join like:

VBA Code:
.Subject = "Spreadsheet for " & Join(Application.Transpose(Application.Transpose(Sheets("Risk Assessment (S1)").Range("C8:I8").Value)))
This did not work either sadly, it still returns as blank.

Upvote 0
Here's the whole thing:

Sub Mail_workbook_Outlook()
Dim OutApp As Outlook.Application
Dim OutMail As Outlook.MailItem
Set OutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
Set OutMail = OutApp.CreateItem(olMailItem)
With OutMail
.To = "email.com"
.CC = ""
.BCC = ""
.Body = "Hi there this is the checklist for TEST"
.Attachments.Add ActiveWorkbook.FullName
'You can add other files also like this
'.Attachments.Add ("C:\test.txt")
.Display 'or use .Send
End With
Set OutMail = Nothing
Set OutApp = Nothing
End Sub

Upvote 0
@RoryA looks like it's not throwing an error mid-execution but if I go back into the macro after it displays red. So you're right, it didn't work.

Upvote 0
It would just be:

Code:
.Subject = "Spreadsheet for " & Sheets("Risk Assessment (S1)").Range("C8").Value)

If that returns just "Spreadsheet for " as the subject, then you must be looking at the wrong cell/sheet.

Upvote 0
S
It would just be:

Code:
.Subject = "Spreadsheet for " & Sheets("Risk Assessment (S1)").Range("C8").Value)

If that returns just "Spreadsheet for " as the subject, then you must be looking at the wrong cell/sheet.
Strange... I just renamed the sheet (it was Sheet 1 before becoming the Risk Assessment (S1)) and that still does not work, so it's definitely not the sheet name as they are a match. And it's without a doubt in cell C8:IB.....

I have tried your formula above and came back to an error (I don't believe there should be a bracket on the end?) so removed that and alas, it's still returning blank

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back