Subtracting early dates to get a number of days

norm282

Hi,

I wish to subtract the date 11/18/1877 from 11/16/1968 to get a result showing the number of intervening days but excel does not want to do it.

When I take 11/18/1900 from 11/18/1968 and format the result to get a number with no decimals the result is 24835 as it should be; but it does not seem to work for dates earlier than 1/1/1900.

Please advise me what is happening and what I need to do to get the result in one go.

Your help is much appreciated.
Thank you

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Excel stores days as numbers. 1 is 1/1/1900, 0 is 1/0/1900, but anything less than that does not work. Excel only supports dates from 1/1/1900 (or 1/0/1900 if you count that) to 12/31/9999 (which is reperesented by the value 2,958,465).

Guess you are out of luck if you want to do it the simple way. You'll have to keep track of leap years yourself, keep in mind they happen every 4 years, but don't every 100 years except every 400 years they do happen. So 2000 was a leap year, while 1900, 1800, and 1700 weren't, but generally every year that is a multiple of 4 is.

~Gold Fish

Upvote 0
Assuming :

- Start dates column A
- End dates in column B
- Both columns formatted as dates in the format m/d/yyyy
- Dates in column A that are earlier than 1900 are entered and displayed as m/d/yyyy
- There are no end dates in column B earlier than 1900
- There are no start dates in column A earlier than the year 900

Then :-

=IF(ISERROR(B1-A1),EDATE(B1,12000)-(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-4)&RIGHT(A1,4)+1000),B1-A1)

Upvote 0
Hi,
I am surprised to learn that excel does not have a simple way of calculating the ages of people who were born before 1900.
It must be a bit of a headache for any geniologists around.
Thank you all for your help.
Sincerely,
Norm

Upvote 0
Hi Boller,

Following your directions, I entered 11/18/1877 in cell A1 and 11/16/1968 in cell B1. I formatted each of these cells as m/d/yyyy. I then copied your formula into cell C1 and the result I get is: #NAME?

I don't know enough to analyse your formula but would appreciate it if you could please tell me where I have erred!

Thank you for your help.
Norm

Upvote 0
You don't have the analysis toolpak enable, so EDATE() doesn't work. To fix this go to Tools -> Add ins... -> Analysis Toolpak -> Ok

Then the formula should work for you!

HTH,
~Gold Fish

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aides

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back