Sum 1st 100 Units in 2 Columns & Sum Remainder

Big Bird

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I have two columns of numbers (A & B). I need to calculate the first hundred units in both columns A & B. Then I need the sum of what is left over after the first hundred units. But I need to keep the totals in columns A & B separated (because ultimately they'll be multiplied by different dollar amounts). Is there a formula that will help me achieve these results? See example below:
AB

First hundred units in both columns A & B9010
Remaining units in both columns A & B4515

To be honest, I'm not even sure if a formula can achieve these results. We've been doing the calculation "manually" for a long time. Today, I thought I would try to see if anyone could help me out with formula to eliminate the time we spend calculating these numbers. Thank you in advance!

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Below assumes no headers and your data is in columns A and B, change output cells to needed and try:
Code:
C1 =SUMPRODUCT(A:A,--(ROW(A:A)<101))
C2 =SUMPRODUCT(A:A,--(ROW(A:A)>100))
D1 =SUMPRODUCT(B:B,--(ROW(B:B)<101))
D2 =SUMPRODUCT(B:B,--(ROW(B:B)>100))

Or enter 100 in say F1 and use:
Code:
C1 =SUMPRODUCT(A:A,--(ROW(A:A)<F1+1))
C2 =SUMPRODUCT(A:A,--(ROW(A:A)>F1))
D1 =SUMPRODUCT(B:B,--(ROW(B:B)<F1+1))
D2 =SUMPRODUCT(B:B,--(ROW(B:B)>F1))

Upvote 0
Thank you, JackDanIce. Unfortunately, these formulas aren't giving me the results I want. C1 is giving me the sum total of all of the numbers in column A & D1 sum total of all numbers in column B in both formula variations you created - I think because all of values in both columns A & B are less than 101. C2 & D2 are giving me zero - I think because none of values in columns A & B are greater than 100.

I'm trying to find a formula to calculate the sum total of the first 100 units in both columns A & B regardless of how great or small the values are. I'm not sure how best to explain it - I'm worried I'm not using the right words to make things clear. This little table shows the results I want - which I hope will make it clearer.
First hundred units in both columns A & B9010
Remaining units in both columns A & B4515

Upvote 0
The suggested formulas:
Adds a value in column A or B, if the row number of that cell is < 101, i.e. 100 units
Similar logic for the other formula

Change all your values to 1 and then test and debug, it works for me what I put 1 in all cells A1:B120

Upvote 0
I've been playing with your formulas, but still can't get them to achieve my goal. I think the trouble is the parameter of the formula is the rows - it's totaling everything in rows 1-100 and rows 101-120. I want a formula to total the values in the cells, but stop when the total gets to 100.

Maybe it will help if I explain what I'm doing - the values in column A are "regular hours" and the values in column B are "overtime hours." Each row is 1 day of work. (Ignore the fact that my table makes it look like people are working more than 24 hours in a day - they're not - I just used bigger numbers to get my point across with a smaller table). A client doesn't pay the first 100 hours worked, regardless of whether they are regular or overtime hours - they pay for any hours worked over and above 100 - but I still need to see the breakdown of the regular & overtime hours we eat vs. the regular & overtime hours the client pays for.

When I do this myself, I add the values in the cells in the following order: A1+B1+A2+B2+A3+B3...etc. Using the values in my table from my first post on this thread I add until I get to 100 or just past it: 10+5+10+0+25+5+25+0+10+0+25=115. I subtract the 15 because I want the first total to stop at 100. Then I add up the values in the A & B columns separately until the row where I got to 100 - in this case I went over 100 when I added the value in the A6 cell. For column A, I'll add A1 through A5 + part of A6 (10+10+25+25+10+25-15=90) and column B, I'll add B1 through B5 (5+0+5+0+0)=10. Next, I add the remaining values in the A column including the 15 I'd subtracted earlier to get an even 100 which is 15+10+10+10=45 and the B column 0+5+5+5=15. It's fairly simple arithmetic, but the order of events it what makes it complicated.

Upvote 0
I misinterrpreted 1st 100 units as 1st 100 cells which contain values, explanation above clarifies it's a running summation to consider, against a total sum value of 100.

I can't think of a solution without use of helper columns, whilst keeping formula simple, this is what I have done on a new spreadsheet:
Code:
A1 = 4, A2 =A1+1, Drag A2 to A200
B1 = A1+1, B2 = B1+1, Drag B2 to B200
C1 = SUM(A$1:A1), drag to C200 (this will create a sorted list of numbers for the 2nd argument used in MATCH function in E1)
D1 = SUM(B$1:B1), drag to D200
E1 = MATCH(100,$C$1:$C$200,1)
E2 = E1 + 1
F1 = MATCH(100,$D$1:$D$200,1)
F2 = F1 + 1
E1 and F1 show the row number that fits the criteria for the sum of values being <=100 for columns A and B respectively
E2 and F2 show the row number where the remainders begin for columns A and B respectively

Upvote 0
Ah ha! Thank you, I see where you're going with this - I think I can work with this. Thank you, again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdahsankhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back