SUM and COUNT

Ellasheba

Hello
I would like to be able to understand how to identify a count of unique numbers in one column and then look to a second column and count with an entry in to return a count.
I have been using some functions but cannot work out how to combine the two to provide the answer I am looking for. It is almost a grouping type function???
thank you

Book1a.xlsx
ABCDE
5105/01/2012
7101/01/2012
10202/02/2013
1933Answer I am looking for 2
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A19A19=SUM(1/COUNTIF(A1:A18,A1:A18))
B19B19=COUNTA(B1:B18)
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
I don't quite understand what the objective is. I believe you want a formula to count the number of unique entries in Column A. Then what do you want that involves column B?

Upvote 0
I don't quite understand what the objective is. I believe you want a formula to count the number of unique entries in Column A. Then what do you want that involves column B?
Column B is used to see how many entries relate to each unique number from column A.

A = 1 count of Colum B will be 1
A = 2 count of Column B will be 1
A =3 Count of column B is zero as there are no entries relating to A in B

Upvote 0
I still don't follow. For the rows where column A = 1, there are two entries in column B that have values (rows 5 and 7). So wouldn't the correct answer be 2 for A=1...and 1 for A=2...and 0 for A=3?

Upvote 0
I still don't follow. For the rows where column A = 1, there are two entries in column B that have values (rows 5 and 7). So wouldn't the correct answer be 2 for A=1...and 1 for A=2...and 0 for A=3?
Yes there are two entries but I don’t need to clunt the unique numbers in column B just the fact that there is at least one cell in column B filled in relating to the unique reference in Column A ... I am maybe making it more confusing than it needs to be .... ?

Upvote 0
Yes there are two entries but I don’t need to clunt the unique numbers in column B just the fact that there is at least one cell in column B filled in relating to the unique reference in Column A ... I am maybe making it more confusing than it needs to be .... ?
Or I am using the wrong terminology ...

Upvote 0
I think I understand now...thanks for the clarification. I believe you want to evaluate the question: Of the unique values in column A, how many of them have at least one entry in column B?

Upvote 0
I think I understand now...thanks for the clarification. I believe you want to evaluate the question: Of the unique values in column A, how many of them have at least one entry in column B?
Yes that’s it... I’m sorry I’m not explaining myself very well

Upvote 0
Which version of Excel are you using? You can edit your account details to show this. You may have access to more advanced functions that simplify this.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back