Sum for textsplit textjoin selections from one cell

ShanaStJ

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Need assistance with this formula. I have entered a code that is successfully working allowing multiselections for a drop down menu in one column. What I need and what is not working is the formula to total those selections individually. Below is an example and the formula I have entered that is returning a value of 0 even though there are entries. You will notice that even though there are multiple selections in the top part, they are not calulating ih the bottom. Any help greatly appreciated.

=SUM(--(TRIM(TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN(",",,$U$36:$U$75),","))=U77))

1713465664567.png

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
based on what I see in the image the only reasonable answer is 0.

What is it you expect?

Can you post actual data instead of an image? The xl2bb tool (link below) is a tool that allows you to do that.
If you can't use that add in, then post your data as a table (copy paste into the post) not an image.

Upvote 0
My goal is to calculate the total number of times that someone enters any of the items from the pull-down list even though they might have selected multiple items as those are separated out by a comma. So for example, someone might enter three different things from the pull-down menu, and I need a formula to continuously add to the count each time that particular selection is used .

Upvote 0
We can't help without data to see where/how you may have an error. Please post DATA, and scenarios with expected results

Upvote 0
Forgive me but I don't know how else to explain it. I need each entry to be counted in the bottom portion of the spreadsheet. So for example on this one, Did not follow up with after care was selected from the pull down menu one in two different rows so I need the Did Not Follow Up With Aftercare to result in a sum of 2. The U column is the Letter of Reasons and each time that selection is made I want it to increase the total for that particular selection.
1713469035742.png

Upvote 0
based on what I see in the image the only reasonable answer is 0.

What is it you expect?

Can you post actual data instead of an image? The xl2bb tool (link below) is a tool that allows you to do that.
If you can't use that add in, then post your data as a table (copy paste into the post) not an image.
Explanation of ReturnLetter Reasons
Patient was aggressive at school.
Patient was fighting with her mother.Did not follow up with aftercare
Patient was discharged by court and returned due to the same symptoms of self-harm.Ran out of meds, Did not follow up with aftercare, Count not afford meds, Did not have transportation for aftercare
The VA changed his medications and he decompensatedDid not have an appt for aftercare, Substance usage
Unstable housing, Refused to go to aftercare
Lack of support system, Lack of finances
Did not follow up with aftercare0
Ran out of meds0
Count not afford meds0
Did not have transportation for aftercare0
Did not have an appt for aftercare0
Substance usage0
Unstable housing0
Refused to go to aftercare0
Lack of support system0
Lack of finances0

Upvote 0
Explanation of ReturnLetter Reasons
Patient was aggressive at school.
Patient was fighting with her mother.Did not follow up with aftercare
Patient was discharged by court and returned due to the same symptoms of self-harm.Ran out of meds, Did not follow up with aftercare, Count not afford meds, Did not have transportation for aftercare
The VA changed his medications and he decompensatedDid not have an appt for aftercare, Substance usage
Unstable housing, Refused to go to aftercare
Lack of support system, Lack of finances
Did not follow up with aftercare0
Ran out of meds0
Count not afford meds0
Did not have transportation for aftercare0
Did not have an appt for aftercare0
Substance usage0
Unstable housing0
Refused to go to aftercare0
Lack of support system0
Lack of finances0
What cell reference is the formula in? What cell is the line "Did not follow up with Aftercare" in?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
championbowler

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back