SUM IF multiple OR criteria across 2 data sets

hapsheppard

I am working with the expectation of getting some large data sets in the future and am trying to create a flexible, reusable approach to SUM results if multiple conditions are met.

There are two complications as I understand it:
- I will have multiple criteria (unsure how many)
- The criteria will need to be either a distinct value or permissive (i.e. anything will do)

Abstracted, my data will look something like:
Sheet1 - Data set 1:
Amounts to SumSubsetCriterion 1Criterion 2Criterion 3Criterion n
101AnyAAAny
201BAnyAAA
301CBBBBB
402AAnyAny
502AnyCCAny
603AnyAnyBBB

<tbody>
</tbody>

Sheet2 - Data set 2 & calculated values:
ReferenceCriterion 1Criterion 2Criterion3Criterion nSubset 1 (Calc)Subset 2 (Calc)Subset 3 (Calc)
Ref 1AAAAAA10400
Ref 2ABBAAA0400
Ref 3ACCAAA0900
Ref 4ADDAAA0400
Ref 5ADDAAA0400

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
The "(calc)" columns are the calculated one (I did it by hand so apologies for mistakes!)

Basically Data Set 1 is a set of amounts to be summed if certain criteria are met (some of which can be any result). Data Set 2 is a set of instances where certain criteria exist (often repeated and not covering all possibilities) and require the summed values from Data Set 1 for each subset per line.

My searches have shown lots of {=SUM(SUMIFS(...))} style formulae but I can't generalise them to multiple criteria successfully.

My current, failing effort is approximately:
{=SUM(SUMIFS(Amounts to Sum, Sheet1!Subset, "Subset 1 (Calc)", Sheet1!Criterion 1, {Sheet2!Criterion 1,"Any"}, Sheet1!Criterion 2, {Sheet2!Criterion 2, "Any"}, Sheet1!Criterion 3, {Sheet2!Criterion 3, "Any"}))}. This gives me excel errors for each "{Sheet2!Criterion n" segment.
Replacing these cell references with hardcoded data (not an option longterm) also fails. I'm less sure why but I think it's because it would require an n-dimension array rather than a 1D array.

Also, I'm happy to use macros if required.

EDIT: I am using Excel 2010

Thanks for your help / shared confusion in advance.

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Hi.

You are correct when you mention dimensionality: beyond two dimensions, i.e. if you wish to apply arrays of more than one value as OR criteria to more than two criteria_ranges, SUMIF(S)/COUNTIF(S) are no longer viable, and so you must switch to SUMPRODUCT.

So whereas you can legitimately construct something like:

=SUM(SUMIFS(sum_range,criteria_range1,{"criteria1a","criteria1b"},criteria_range2,{"criteria2a";"criteria2b";"criteria2c";"criteria2d"}))

in which, by necessarily transposing one of the array constants such that it is orthogonal to the other (note the semi-colons as separator in one (indicating a column-vector) and commas in the other (row-vector)), we effectively form a two-dimensional (in this case 4-row-by-2-column) array of all 8 combinations of those criteria, if we attempt to add a further set of multiple criteria to another of our criteria_ranges, e.g.:

=SUM(SUMIFS(sum_range,criteria_range1,{"criteria1a","criteria1b"},criteria_range2,{"criteria2a";"criteria2b";"criteria2c";"criteria2d"},criteria_range3,{"criteria3a";"criteria3b";"criteria3c"}))

then, and no matter how we arrange the vector-types of these three arrays, we will never achieve correct results, since the required three-dimensional grid of all possible combinations from these criteria is beyond the means of these functions.

Hence, you would need something like:

=SUMPRODUCT(sum_range,0+(ISNUMBER(MATCH(criteria_range1,{"criteria1a","criteria1b"},0))),0+(ISNUMBER(MATCH(criteria_range2,{"criteria2a","criteria2b","criteria2c","criteria2d"},0))),0+(ISNUMBER(MATCH(criteria_range3,{"criteria3a";"criteria3b";"criteria3c"},0))))

Regards

Upvote 0
Many thanks XOR LX, your code works great. The only change I made was to use cell references instead of {"criteria1a","criteria1b"} so each line would update based on Data Set 2.

As I couldn't get {CELLREF,"any"} or {CELLREF1,CELLREF2} to work), I inserted dummy columns in Data Set 2 with "Any" repeated in them so as I could use CELLREF1:CELLREF2 as the criteria. If there's a cleaner way great, if not I have working formulae so I'm happy.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chase S

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back