SUM,INDEX produces #REF when target file is not open

santaklas

Hi everyone,

First post for me on this great forum.

I have the following challenge on my hands:

I have a very large table of data (about 24500 rows and at least 52 columns) of weekly selling for products that are outlined as below (very simplified). There is always the same products for every store, and a certain number of stores are grouped into regions.

ABCDEFG
1formula:RegionStore #Productweek 1week 2week 3
2=C1&D111Hats455552
3=C2&D211Boots10295115
4etc.11Bags518565
512Hats150125200
612Boots150250300
712Bags485565
813Hats142651
913Boots115120160
1013Bags1105585

<tbody>
</tbody>

Now what I am trying to do is from another simple sheet enter store#, start week, and end week to get an accumulated figure of each products selling, like this:

A BC
1STORE #:1
2Start Week:week 2
3End Week:week 3
5=C1&B5Hats:107
6=C1&B6Boots:210
7=C1&B7Bags:150

<tbody>
</tbody>

To be able to find the right row in the big data file (called Weekly MASTER.xlsx, tab called Data below) I have added a hidden row (row A) in both sheets that just adds the store number to the product name (i.e. 1Hats, 1Boots, 1Bags, etc.) to be able to use MATCH. I have then used INDEX to find the starting point and end point of my SUM.

In words I wanted the formula to find the correct row depending on store number and product name, and then sum between the chose starting point and end point (the weeks).

The formula I have been using in cell C5 (Hats SUM) above is looking like this:

=SUM(INDEX('[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!E2:G10,MATCH(A5,'[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!A:A,0),MATCH(C2,'[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!E1:G1,0))
:INDEX('[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!E2:G10,MATCH(A5,'[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!A:A,0),MATCH(C3,'[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!E1:G1,0)))

Now, this formula works great as long as 'Weekly MASTER.xlsx' is open, but when it is closed it produces #REF in cell C5.

I am no excel master so in terms of advance formulas this is as much as I know, meaning I am sure there are better ways to do this.

If anyone can help me make sure this works when the target file is closed it would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind regards
Klas

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Hi.

I notice that your range is being determined from just three columns, i.e. Data'!E1:G1.

So you're only ever summing from a choice of 3 possibilities, i.e. either column E to column F, column F to column G, or column E to column G? That's it?

Regards

Upvote 0
Hi.

I notice that your range is being determined from just three columns, i.e. Data'!E1:G1.

So you're only ever summing from a choice of 3 possibilities, i.e. either column E to column F, column F to column G, or column E to column G? That's it?

Regards

Hi,

No sorry that is just the very simplified version for the sake of being easy to show in this thread. The real table (and corresponding MATCH formulas) is about 24500 rows and up to 75 differenct columns. So it is a massive number of possible SUMs available.

Regards

Upvote 0
Hi.

Regards

Hi again,

To be clear, the exact formula looks like this:

=IFERROR(SUM(INDEX('[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!$F$1:$FF$24573,MATCH(B19,'[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!$C:$C,0),MATCH($A$16,'[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!$F$3:$FF$3,0)):INDEX('[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!$F$1:$FF$24573,MATCH(B19,'[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!$C:$C,0),MATCH($A$17,'[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!$F$3:$FF$3,0))),"")

Sorry for the confusion.

KR

Upvote 0
Thanks.

Your current formula would also suggest that the values to be summed do not come from the same row as that which contains the value in A5, but rather from that immediately below this one.

Can you confirm?

Regards

Upvote 0
Hi again,

To be clear, the exact formula looks like this:

=IFERROR(SUM(INDEX('[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!$F$1:$FF$24573,MATCH(B19,'[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!$C:$C,0),MATCH($A$16,'[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!$F$3:$FF$3,0)):INDEX('[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!$F$1:$FF$24573,MATCH(B19,'[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!$C:$C,0),MATCH($A$17,'[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!$F$3:$FF$3,0))),"")

Sorry for the confusion.

KR

Ah, that's a significant difference. The starting row for the range being passed to the initial INDEX clause is a 1 here; in your previous example it was a 2!

Getting a bit confusing!

Regards

Upvote 0
Ah, that's a significant difference. The starting row for the range being passed to the initial INDEX clause is a 1 here; in your previous example it was a 2!

Getting a bit confusing!

Regards

Sorry about that! I wanted to simplify the references a bit but I might have made it more confusing.

So the table that I am summing from looks more or less like this below, with store number attached to product. There are more than 3 products but that's not the point.

A
B
C
D
E
BR
BS
week 1
week 2
week 3
week 4
week 51
week 52
1Hats
1Boots
1Bags
2Hats
2Boots
2Bags
850Hats
850Boots
850Bags

<tbody>
</tbody>

The question is really how to find and sum part of row (say row "235Bags" between "Week 15" and "Week 42") based on input in another file, with the data file being closed.

Please let me know if I need to clarify anything else :)

Kind regards

Upvote 0
Based on the formula you gave in post #1, something like:

=SUMPRODUCT((COLUMN('[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!E1:G1)>=MATCH(C2,'[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!1:1,0))*(COLUMN('[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!E1:G1)<=MATCH(C3,'[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!1:1,0))*(INDEX('[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!E1:G10,MATCH(A5,'[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!A1:A10,0),)))

which will work even when Weekly MASTER is closed

See if you can adapt that to your actual workbook. Note that the part:

Data'!1:1

represents the entire first row within that sheet.

N.B. Very interesting - I never knew that this syntax with INDEX:INDEX was not valid for closed workbooks.

Regards

Upvote 0
Based on the formula you gave in post #1, something like:

=SUMPRODUCT((COLUMN('[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!E1:G1)>=MATCH(C2,'[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!1:1,0))*(COLUMN('[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!E1:G1)<=MATCH(C3,'[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!1:1,0))*(INDEX('[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!E1:G10,MATCH(A5,'[Weekly MASTER.xlsx]Data'!A1:A10,0),)))

which will work even when Weekly MASTER is closed

See if you can adapt that to your actual workbook. Note that the part:

Data'!1:1

represents the entire first row within that sheet.

N.B. Very interesting - I never knew that this syntax with INDEX:INDEX was not valid for closed workbooks.

Regards

Hi,

That works great, thank you so much for your help! While I am not 100% sure what the formula does I'm very happy to use it :)

If you have the time could you enlighten me on what this does exactly?

Thanks again!

KR

Upvote 0

It works for me in both 2010 and 2016 preview.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoniJ

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back