Sum the last n values in a row based on a criteria.

MindTheGap

Hello.

I have Column A and Column B and I am looking to get the sum of the last 3 values from column B given they match the name in A. The formula I am currently using returns the sum of the last 3 values of B but when I try and put that formula in a SUMIFS function to test for matching the name in column A it doesn't work.

Thank you in advance.

3FCpbI4.png

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Something like this maybe?

Excel 2010
ABCDE
1NameValue
2A7
3B8
4B9
5B0
6A-5
7A3
8A2
9C15
10C68
11C9
12B6
13A5
14A5NameLast how manySum
15A5B315

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet8

Array Formulas
CellFormula
E15{=SUMIF(OFFSET($A:$A,LARGE(IF($A$2:$A$15=C15,ROW($A$2:$A$15)),D15)-1,0,1,1):$A$15,C15,OFFSET($B:$B,LARGE(IF($A$2:$A$15=C15,ROW($A$2:$A$15)),D15)-1,0,1,1):$B$15)}

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
This looks awkward but it does do the job.

ABCDE
1namevaluecriteriatotal last 3
2A7A15
3B8
4B9
5B0
6A-5
7A3
8A2
9C15
10C68
11C9
12B6
13A5
14A5
15A5

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet3

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
E2=SUMPRODUCT(((ROW(A2:A15)-ROW(A2)+1)*(A2:A15=D2)=(AGGREGATE(14,6,(ROW(A2:A15)-ROW(A2)+1)/(A2:A15=D2),{3,2,1})))*(B2:B15))

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
I have Column A and Column B and I am looking to get the sum of the last 3 values from column B given they match the name in A.
This (normally entered) formula appears to do what you want...

=SUMPRODUCT((A2:A15="A")*(ROW(2:15)=LARGE((A2:A15="A")*ROW(2:15),{1,2,3}))*B2:B15)

The two red letter A's is the name you are looking up... the blue 1,2,3 (inside the curly braces is what controls how many values will be added (if you wanted 5, then change it to 1,2,3,4,5)... of course you would change all of the 15's to the maximum row number for the cell containing your last piece of data. Oh, in case there are less names in the list than the number of cells you want to add (for example, name "C" only appears twice in the list and you have asked to sum three values), the formula will add what is there (for example, 83 for name "C").

Upvote 0
Oooo, ya. Use this one. Mine's all too complicated. Keep in mind that in both formulas the {1,2,3} construction must be with commas and not with semi-colons.

Upvote 0

=SUMPRODUCT((A2:A15="A")*(ROW(2:15)=LARGE((A2:A15="A")*ROW(2:15),{1,2,3}))*B2:B15)

The two red letter A's is the name you are looking up... the blue 1,2,3 (inside the curly braces is what controls how many values will be added (if you wanted 5, then change it to 1,2,3,4,5)... of course you would change all of the 15's to the maximum row number for the cell containing your last piece of data. Oh, in case there are less names in the list than the number of cells you want to add (for example, name "C" only appears twice in the list and you have asked to sum three values), the formula will add what is there (for example, 83 for name "C").

Thank you very much.
If I wanted to have this formula on every row customized could I replace the A2:A15 parts with A2:ADDRESS(ROW(A15),COLUMN(A15)) ?

Upvote 0
Or like this for example except it's not working

=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:A15=A15)*(ROW(2:ROW(A15))=LARGE(($A$2:A15=A15)*ROW(2:ROW(A15)),{1,2,3}))*$B$2:B15)

Upvote 0

Thank you very much.
If I wanted to have this formula on every row customized could I replace the A2:A15 parts with A2:ADDRESS(ROW(A15),COLUMN(A15)) ?

Or like this for example except it's not working

=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:A15=A15)*(ROW(2:ROW(A15))=LARGE(($A$2:A15=A15)*ROW(2:ROW(A15)),{1,2,3}))*$B$2:B15)

I am sorry, but I am having trouble understanding what functionality you are trying to implement here. Can you show a before and after example that demonstrates what you are trying to accomplish?

Upvote 0
I am sorry, but that is still not clear. It looks like you are saying the last 3 C's equals 1 (it doesn't), the last 3 D's equals 5 (it doesn't), the last 3 A's = 5 and (this is where it gets even more unclear) that the last three B's equals either 7 or 10 (neither is correct).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back