Sum total when name changes

Marq1995

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I need you to help me.. Im loosing sleep! haha

What I want to do is sum up the debit and credit column and add the total in the blank row (when the name value changes). But, if the value is <0 I want the total to go in the debit column - if it is >0 I want it to go in the credit column

I hope that makes sense...

Please help!!

I
For MrExcel.JPG

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
  1. Find the blank cells in column A
  2. In columns C:D beside those blank cells put the formulas that I gave in post #5
What do the below refer to?

R1C:R[-1]C[1],R1C1:R[-1]C1=R[-1]C1)
R1C[-1]:R[-1]C,R1C1:R[-1]C1=R[-1]C1)

Upvote 0
If I moved the debits over to column H and the Credits over to column I, how would the code read?

Upvote 0
What do the below refer to?

R1C:R[-1]C[1],R1C1:R[-1]C1=R[-1]C1)
R1C[-1]:R[-1]C,R1C1:R[-1]C1=R[-1]C1)
Some further explanation here but a couple of examples

R1C is a cell reference to row 1 in the current column (that is, the column that the formula is being placed in). So if the formula is in column C it means C$1
R[-1]C is a cell reference to the row immediately above the formula (R[-1]) and the column the formula is in. So if the formula is being placed in D20 this would mean D19
R1C[-1] is a cell reference to row 1 in the column 1 to the left of the formula. So if the formula was being placed in D20 this would mean C1

If I moved the debits over to column H and the Credits over to column I, how would the code read?
All you would nee to change is this one number:
Rich (BB code):
rA.Offset(, 7).Resize(, 2)....

Upvote 0
You are honestly AMAZING!!! This has saved me!

I cannot thank you enough!

Upvote 0
I have just noticed that it hasnt calculated the final row :(
What do I need to adjust?

Upvote 0
I have just noticed that it hasnt calculated the final row
OK, the sample in post #3 had "GBP" in what looked like the last row but the sheet must actually continue after that. :)

Try the modification below.

BTW, the description below does not include the possibility that the sum might be exactly zero. Is that possible and if so which column should the zero go in?

if the value is <0 I want the total to go in the debit column - if it is >0 I want it to go in the credit column

VBA Code:
Sub Marq1995()
  Dim rA As Range

For Each rA In Range("A2:A" & Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).SpecialCells(xlBlanks)
    rA.Offset(, 7).Resize(, 2).FormulaR1C1 = Array( _
      "=LET(s,SUM(FILTER(R1C:R[-1]C[1],R1C1:R[-1]C1=R[-1]C1)),IF(s<0,s,""""))", _
      "=LET(s,SUM(FILTER(R1C[-1]:R[-1]C,R1C1:R[-1]C1=R[-1]C1)),IF(s<0,"""",s))")
  Next rA
  Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 7).Resize(, 2).FormulaR1C1 = Array( _
End Sub

Upvote 0
OK, the sample in post #3 had "GBP" in what looked like the last row but the sheet must actually continue after that. :)

Try the modification below.

BTW, the description below does not include the possibility that the sum might be exactly zero. Is that possible and if so which column should the zero go in?

VBA Code:
Sub Marq1995()
  Dim rA As Range

For Each rA In Range("A2:A" & Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).SpecialCells(xlBlanks)
    rA.Offset(, 7).Resize(, 2).FormulaR1C1 = Array( _
  Next rA
  Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 7).Resize(, 2).FormulaR1C1 = Array( _
End Sub
This is brilliant! Thank you so much!

Really good point! It would need to go into the credit column...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Miahr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back